WTH Chipotle peppers??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a chipotle shrimp and corn chowder last night. The recipe called for 8 ounces of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.

So I pull about half of the peppers out of the 12 ounce can (to play it safe) and mince them up and add to the soup.

After a few minutes of cooking the shrimp through I scoop out a small bowl and a couple of drips run down the side. I wipe them with my fingers and taste a taste

HOLY CRAP!

This stuff is too hot to be edible!

WTH didn't the instructions tell you to open the peppers up and remove the seeds?

WTH did they use so much??

I'm not a huge fan of real hot food, but I can manage a fair amount. This was "can't make myself swallow" hot! I tried a half a bite and it was a no go.

Other recipes I saw online with chipotle peppers in their soup called for like 2 peppers! I must have put about 8 of them in there!

Dang I was stoked to try that soup too! It looked really good.

I used those adobe peppers in a nacho cheese topping and the recipe didn't say seed them and said use 2 for hot and 1 for mild. I used 1.5 and couldn't eat the stuff it was so hot. I tried the recipe again with a 1/2 pepper and it was still kicking.

I did something similar while trying to make Singapore noodles once, ended up refining the recipe by cutting the rooster sauce by 75%, after that & a couple other minor changes, it wasn't bad. Still not as good as what I get at the restaurant, but not bad.

Next time try scotch bonnets. :)

Not all peppers are created the same and scofield units can vary from batch to batch. Some chipotle's are mild and some are tactical nuclear hot. It's good practice with peppers (or any unfamiliar spice) to sample a small amount before you cook with them to know how much to use to dial in your recipes.

^^+1^^

I've had the same experience with those canned chipotles, some cans are way hotter than others. Now I taste the adobo straight from the can before I use it and adjust the recipe accordingly.

Could you add heavy cream and/or whole milk to cool it down??

I had already added whole milk AND heavy cream! Trust me, this is not a "healthy" soup!

Lesson learned. Treat peppers with respect.

I had thought about making more soup and adding them together, but it's WAY too hot, even for that.

Didn't have more peppers, so last night I made a Chicken Corn Chowder. Turned out pretty good. My wife and kids refused to let me take the leftovers to work to share.

Take the soup that's way too hot to work & share it with people you don't like. :D
Regards, GF.

Yeah, but how do I disguise the EX-LAX flavor?? ;)

FWIW I made this soup again last night with only TWO peppers, and those were sliced open and gutted. It was fairly warm without being too hot. I could probably go with 3 peppers next time.

My wife said it was better than the Chicken Corn Chowder I made the night before, but my daughter said it was a bit too spicy and she preferred the other one.

I'm just starting to get a bit tired of cooking every night. I have to look up a good recipe for tilapia now. Got some frozen fillets that need eating up.

Yes, and in the springtime I have access to TONS of wild leeks. My friend has a recipe for leek soup and pepper bread that I've been meaning to make for a few years. Maybe this year I will go out and pick some.

I was going to suggest a nice baked talapia with lemon slices and sprigs of dill. A little kosher salt, pepper, and olive oil atop a bed of fresh leeks and corn kernals sweated in butter with celery sead and cayenne...

That sounds pretty good! I was looking to steam some veggies and cook up some risotto (My wife LOVES that stuff) to go alongside the baked tilapia with lemon and garlic butter.

Ive had really good risotto and I have had "yeah, ok I'll have a little more" risotto. Its just good stuff.

When I discovered that I could sweat down leeks with corn in butter a few years ago that was a really good day. The entire apartment smells great and it "goes" with just about everything protein-wise. Also, I really like the sounds your knife makes when you cut them... I'm weird like that.

People at work enjoyed the recipe too. I went to grab the leftovers before I forgot and it was all gone. At least the wife can't get mad at me for forgetting to bring the leftovers home...

Back