Caramel Apple Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just scaled this down to a one gallon batch.. Hope it still turns out.
The yeast is the only thing I am not sure how to scale down.. Any hints?

OK, just a few notes for anyone as green as I am:

1. Get about an extra half gallon of apple juice. The grains will absorb about that much.

2. Don't think, "hmm, why don't I add the DME to the 150°F juice to make it dissolve quicker?" It will turn into silly putty the instant it hits the hot liquid, then you will have to take a bottle of juice and heat it until it melts, then cool it so your must is not too warm. Don't ask how I know this.

3. If you are using raw honey, be prepared to melt down any crystallized honey that may be present. Because of this, I ended up sanitizing a gallon ziploc bag and filling it with ice to bring the temperature down prior to pitching.

4. Have a quantity of sterile water available to fix your original gravity. To get my gravity right, I added an extra half gallon of juice, which brought me from 1.14 to 1.13, then added half of a water to get me to 1.12. I, being the noob that I am, am trying to stick as close to the recipe as possible.

Question:
Does anyone have any estimate as to when I should check the gravity again, in order to add the 5 grams of Fermaid K. Is this expected to happen in matter of hours, days, or weeks?

Thanks for any advice offered.
Mark

yeast is very forgiving in that it is pitched at a small amount and grows exponentially. I say if it is a packet of dried yeast pitch it all or if it is a liquid and you have a way of storing unused pitch half.

Finally got around to doing this batch.

I did a 5 gallon batch w/ a 500 ml 1116 starter.

My O.G. was 1.113 so pretty spot on, although I only yielded about 4.8 gallons of liquid so that was a little off.

Smells a little malty right now, like the crystal is slightly overbearing but I'm assuming that will change over time.

I'm getting close to bottling my cranberry mead so its nice to have another batch going.

OK, checked my gravity, I am at 1.07, so I added my 1st nutrient shot, I am using WLN1000 from White labs. Also, my yeast was Wyeast 4021.

I forgot to dissolve this in liquid, so I did get foaming.

If one were to enter this in a competition, how would you classify it..as a cyser, braggot, or mead?

Question regarding stabilizing:

I am a bit late in getting around to stabilizing and sweetening with the buckwheat honey. Mainly because I am not quite sure what I am supposed to be doing in this step.

The recipe states :"Rack again onto 1 lb of buckwheat honey and 1/4t potassium metabisuphite or 5 campden tabs and 2 1/2t potassium sorbate to stabilize. Add Super Kleer to clarify. Bulk age for six months to a year before bottling."

1. Should I heat this honey to kill off any nasties that might be in there?
2. How should I interpret the addition of stabilizers? Is it
(1/4t pot. metabisuphite or 5 campden tabs) and( 2 1/2t pot. sorbate ) ?
Or is it
(1/4t pot. metabisuphite or (5 campden tabs and 2 1/2t pot sorbate )​
?
3. Do I dissolve in the stabilizer(s) in a small quantity of must and mix it in, or do I just add the stabilizers directly?

Sorry for all the questions, this stuff is looking awesome, and I dont want to mess up now, the home stretch is in sight!!

Mark

1. No.
2. Either (1/4t Kmeta) or (5 campden tabs + 2.5t sorbate). Your choice, depending what you have on hand.
3. I usually boil a little water (1/4-1/2c) and dissolve the additives in that.

Hello Im making this recipe for the first time and was wondering about the yeast strain. This recipe calls for Lalvin K1v1116 but I generally use Wyeast Sweet Mead Yeast (4184). Would the end result still end up with a caramel apple mead?

I had a similar concern, I compare the alcohol tolerance spec for both and went with a wyeast product, because they seemed close enough to satisfy me. I have a local supplier who happened to have Wyeast products on hand, that was my only reason to deviate.

When you rack the mead into the 1lb Buckwheat honey in 3rd stage do you need to dissolve it in any juice to thin it out so it dissipates in the mead evenly? Or do you just rack it into the mead and stir slowly?

I heated my honey a bit, to aid in dissolving it. Some say heat it to kill microbes that may be present. Some say not to because it changes the flavor of the honey.

Let us know what you end up doing. Mine won't be bottled for a few months, so I must learn patience, as all wine makers must.

I just brewed up a batch this morning for the first time. The wort/must tastes frickin' amazing. I want to drink all of it now.

I was thinking, you could make up a batch of it without fermenting, and warm it in a crock pot as a non-alcoholic holiday party punch.

Or add fruit pectin and make a jelly out of it, for spreading on nutty muffins, or dropped into the divots of thumbprint cookies, or spread between layers of fluffy white cake.

Crystal 60 + apple juice + honey = culinary droooooooooool

Im having a concern. About second stage where the must is in with the vanilla beans. I just moved the must to the third stage with the last LB of buckweat honey. But it seems that the must has picked up a very strong alcohol taste/smell I cant quite describe well from the second stage with the vanilla beans. Is this common and will it still turn out how its supposed to? Im wondering if maybe I could just leave out the vanilla beans in my next batch? Any suggestions?

Im having a concern. About second stage where the must is in with the vanilla beans. I just moved the must to the third stage with the last LB of buckweat honey. But it seems that the must has picked up a very strong alcohol taste/smell I cant quite describe well from the second stage with the vanilla beans. Is this common and will it still turn out how its supposed to? Im wondering if maybe I could just leave out the vanilla beans in my next batch? Any suggestions?

Sorry, missed your post earlier, I wouldn't leave out the vanilla. Your still have a lot of mellowing to go through yet. Have you stabilized? I would expect that no more appreciable alchohol will be produced, and that the harshness will fade.

this sounds like a lack of age on the end product and not a factor of the vanilla bean. I would let it age good and long, try some down the road and see. Flavors will fade and mellow as previously mentioned.

I made this one today with what I had on hand. 10 lbs mesquite honey + 3 cups of brown sugar as a substitute, should be very close to original. I haven't done any brewing in over a decade, I had forgotten how messy it could get with this clumsy old fool. Add DME slowly - jeez how did I forget that? Muslen bag came undone as I was trying to squeeze out the last drop from the grains. Grains fell into my carboy and on to the floor - what mess to clean up. Tasty must, can't wait till it is done!

Just brewed this last night and fermentation is already underway. Can't wait to sample it from the carboy in a couple weeks!

photo.jpg

Fist post and THIS is my first recipe! I brewed a bit about 10 years ago and am now getting back into it. I love cooking (mostly bbq-smokin).
I stayed as true as I could to the recipe with what I had locally. I was going to go with the K1v1116 , but the hop head at my local store recommended the D47. I did 6lbs of clover, 2lb of purple starthistle and 1.5lb of buckwheat. My final volume is 4.5G and an OG of 1.13. I'll bring it down to 1.12 and then hide it in my closet. The smell in my kitchen is FANTASTIC! I'm tempted to take my husks and make some oatmeal chocchip cookies out of them, but my growler of Dragon's Milk may put an end to that.
How has everyone elses turned out?...

Fist post and THIS is my first recipe! I brewed a bit about 10 years ago and am now getting back into it. I love cooking (mostly bbq-smokin).
I stayed as true as I could to the recipe with what I had locally. I was going to go with the K1v1116 , but the hop head at my local store recommended the D47. I did 6lbs of clover, 2lb of purple starthistle and 1.5lb of buckwheat. My final volume is 4.5G and an OG of 1.13. I'll bring it down to 1.12 and then hide it in my closet. The smell in my kitchen is FANTASTIC! I'm tempted to take my husks and make some oatmeal chocchip cookies out of them, but my growler of Dragon's Milk may put an end to that.

Made a gallon of this in March....still not ready to drink but getting there. I'd say around the year mark for it to smooth out and let the flavors meld enough for the caramel apple characteristics to come out.

i was looking at doing a one gallon batch version of this, one because this recipe sounds AMAZING, and two, the rest of my carboys are tied up with beer brewing... i've got a couple 1G jugs around, and would love to give this a shot. i've read through this whole thread, and seen this talked about a couple times, but no real responses, experiences or outcomes on doing a 1G batch of this recipe. Have you simply taken this recipe on the first page, divided it all by 5 and go from there? is there any thing i should be aware of or take account for... 1/5 of some of the smaller measurements might get tricky:) and what about the yeast... obviously won't need a starter, maybe just a half packet then?

thanks for any input. this sounds delicious!

Postal4x4 said:

D47 is awesome for mead, but the K1v1116 is suited for this because of its alcohol toleration. I'm fairly certain the D47 yeast will kill themselves before it ferments-out.

D47 is awesome for mead, but the K1v1116 is suited for this because of its alcohol toleration. I'm fairly certain the D47 yeast will kill themselves before it ferments-out.

That was a bit of a concern when I was comparing the profiles at the store, but figured I'd go with the expert behind the counter. I hope I didn't get steered in the wrong direction.
It's now day 4 and it's still bubbling away pretty good. I've added my first round of fermaid and give it a good shake everyday.
What happens when the yeast die too soon?

i was looking at doing a one gallon batch version of this, one because this recipe sounds AMAZING, and two, the rest of my carboys are tied up with beer brewing... i've got a couple 1G jugs around, and would love to give this a shot. i've read through this whole thread, and seen this talked about a couple times, but no real responses, experiences or outcomes on doing a 1G batch of this recipe. Have you simply taken this recipe on the first page, divided it all by 5 and go from there? is there any thing i should be aware of or take account for... 1/5 of some of the smaller measurements might get tricky:) and what about the yeast... obviously won't need a starter, maybe just a half packet then?

thanks for any input. this sounds delicious!

Here is the recipe I used for one gallon; hope this helps.

1 Gallon Caramel Apple Mead

102.4 oz. Apple Juice
6.4 oz DME
9.6 oz Crystal Malt
28.8 oz clover honey
6.4 oz buckwheat honey
1 Vanilla bean
1 packet Lalvin Kv1116 yeast

Steep grains in 30 oz of apple juice at 155F for 45 minutes and remove from heat. Stir in the DME and clover honey plus 3.2 oz buckwheat honey. Rinse grain sack with rest of apple juice. Aerate by vigorous stirring for at least five minutes. Aerate some more. When must is at room temperature pitch yeast starter (hydrated with Go Ferm per container instructions) directly into the primary (plastic pail fitted with an air lock).

At about 1.075 add 1g Fermaid K
At about 1.035 add 1g Fermaid K
(Dissolve your nutrients in water before adding them to your must. This helps to minimize foam.)

Within about two weeks this should ferment out to 1.012 or so. Rack to secondary with pectic enzyme and add vanilla bean. Allow to remain in the secondary for about a month.

Rack again onto 3.2 oz of buckwheat honey and 1 campden tab and 1/4t potassium sorbate to stabilize. Bulk age for six months to a year before bottling.

excellent!!! thanks! i'm going to get this put together today i think. only difference is for the steeping grains i have some Belgium Special B laying around, so i may give that a shot vs the C-60L. it might be a little darker, but i think the flavors in the special B should work out great for this!

looking at the 2 recipes, it looks like you pretty much was able to take everything and divide it by 5. the only 2 questions that come up, after reading this long thread, from the first post i think the full 2lbs of buckwheat honey was used in primary, and an extra lb was used when racking to back sweeten it. so 3lbs total, but in your recipe, it looks like you split that amount between the primary and back sweetening, have you got to sample this yet? or is it still aging? also, i noticed you used pectic enzyme when adding vanilla and no mention of super kleer... is this doing essentially the same thing?

last thing, cinnamon. i love it. i'm thinking of adding a stick when adding the vanilla bean. would this be the right time to add it? and anyone tried it? i'm assuming cinnamon carmel apple should be amazing too:) or just stick with the base? got a couple weeks to decide i guess.

thanks everyone. great thread!

That was a bit of a concern when I was comparing the profiles at the store, but figured I'd go with the expert behind the counter. I hope I didn't get steered in the wrong direction.
It's now day 4 and it's still bubbling away pretty good. I've added my first round of fermaid and give it a good shake everyday.
What happens when the yeast die too soon?

I work at my LHBS, and I wouldn't have recommended that yeast for this batch at all. You could be okay, and I don't mean to stress you out, but if they do die, then you will be stuck at a higher FG than anticipated.

excellent!!! thanks! i'm going to get this put together today i think. only difference is for the steeping grains i have some Belgium Special B laying around, so i may give that a shot vs the C-60L. it might be a little darker, but i think the flavors in the special B should work out great for this!

looking at the 2 recipes, it looks like you pretty much was able to take everything and divide it by 5. the only 2 questions that come up, after reading this long thread, from the first post i think the full 2lbs of buckwheat honey was used in primary, and an extra lb was used when racking to back sweeten it. so 3lbs total, but in your recipe, it looks like you split that amount between the primary and back sweetening, have you got to sample this yet? or is it still aging? also, i noticed you used pectic enzyme when adding vanilla and no mention of super kleer... is this doing essentially the same thing?

last thing, cinnamon. i love it. i'm thinking of adding a stick when adding the vanilla bean. would this be the right time to add it? and anyone tried it? i'm assuming cinnamon carmel apple should be amazing too:) or just stick with the base? got a couple weeks to decide i guess.

thanks everyone. great thread!

Hey Jim,

The amounts of buckwheat honey did get confusing as he gave conflicting answers to posters. The way I read it from the first few posts was that it was a total of 2 pounds of buckwheat honey with one going into primary and the other after racking off the vanilla bean so that's the way I went with it. I did not need to use any kind of finings with this mead; it cleared beautifully on its own with just the pectic enzyme. Hope this helps.

ha! well i just got done making this 1G batch this morning and it smells amazing!!! being i just got back online, i missed your last reply, and i went with what i thought i read earlier and put the 6.4oz of buckwheat honey in there, and wow, i got an OG of 1.156... this is going to be some rocket fuel! should i dilute this with water to bring the OG down a bit and if so where to, 1.120??? i used go ferm, and aerated the crap out of it with a paint stirrer attached to a drill for a long time!!! trying to give those yeasties the best environment with such a high OG, but still a bit concerned it "too" high. thoughts on diluting it??

Well I went ahead and split the difference and diluted it down to an OG of 1.135 yesterday before anything started. Still a very slow start with the fermentation front though. Still haven't seen a single bubble in the airlock, but finally tonight as I went to aerate it for the second time today, the gravity was down to about 1.120. So it's starting, but slow. Weird no bubbles in the airlock, but once opened the lid it sure looked like something was going on with some dark brown crud on top of LOTS of light brown bubbles... And just to confirm, I should keep aerating it twice daily until I get to the 1/3 sugar break? Just a bit different from beer world:).

This was it after tonight's aeration!
Thanks again! Cheers!

image-1297698285.jpg

Yep, that's correct on aeration; with mead you have to remember that there is a lag phase and it's really slow compared to beer.

Just brewed this up tonight. Got an OG of 1.112. Added around 9.75lbs of clover honey cause that's all I could really afford. Hope the low OG won't hurt the desired taste. Thanks for the recipe!

I'm planning to start this in the next few days (found this forum from the repost of the recipe over at winemakers). This'll be my first mead, though I've done many wines. Any advice before I begin? Also, will blackberry honey be a suitable replacement for the buckwheat? Couldn't find any info on the flavor profile of blackberry honey, not sure if this will adversely effect the recipe. Planning to do a 3 gallon batch, so we'll see...

I wouldn't replace the buckwheat with blackberry...the buckwheat honey is part of what gives it that caramel apple flavor.

Back