Green Flash west coast IPA! WTF?!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moinkyschmoink

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just went to the store and was surprised and amazed to see Green Flash right here in Iowa!
Just got home, poured a bottle and full on nasties floating around in there. By nasties I think I'm looking at hop particles galore. I love hops, and I love ipa's, but seriously, this is throat sticking hop gunk galore. Is this how the west coast ipa from them always is? If so what's with the hype?
I'm going to try and let 'em sit for a bit and not pour another glass of trub, but gotta say huge disappointment.

I picked up a 4 pack of both the Hop Head Red and the West Coast IPA in March and wasn't impressed by either one (that being said, neither was horribly offensive, but given the hype they get, I expected more. I think they might have been mistreated, but they also demonstrated the 'nasties' floating around as well. When I had both of the beers on tap at a special even in Nashville a month later, I was blown away by the quality of the beer.

I live accross the street from Green Flash and I've never had any sort of particles, yeast, hops or otherwise in any beer I've gotten, on tap or in bottles. Love the West Coast- one of my top beers of all time (cue Kanye "OF ALL TIME"). I drink a lot of Green Flash beer.

I'd be willing to bet that many of the bottles that make it out as far as you guys are may have been mishandled. I'd never heard or seen anything to the effect that Green Flash is "known for" having crap in their bottles. That said, I can't imagine what kind of handling it would take to spontaneously generate particulate matter in the bottles. I would imagine a brewery of their size is filtering their beer, and any brewery that distributes out of state pretty much has to, so there shouldn't be anything in there. Neither the WCIPA or the HHR are bottle conditioned, but some of their other beers are.

I can get then here in Il. I'm not a huge fan of west coast IPAs but their double stout is one of my top favorite beers.

I just picked up a four pack a few days ago in NH (that was not refrigerated, but sitting on the "room temperature" shelf in southern NH at the LHBS), and I've had 2 so far - no floaties or chunks - didn't even notice any sludge in the bottom of the bottle, and the beer tasted great - nice West Coast (aka Hoperific) IPA

I've always noted some degree of sludge in the bottom of their bottles, and pour accordingly. I've always assumed they bottle condition, which I like in a beer.

I've had sludge in the bottom of their bottles before.... Never stopped that beer from tasting like chewing on Simcoe and Columbus pellets though. Great beer.

Mis handling of bottles isn't going to create hop particles that weren't there at bottling.

As said, they are kinda known for that. I would drink it.

I ordered a IIPA sampler from letspour.com and it came with a Green Flash IIPA...A couple of them had sediment, so I just poured accordingly and enjoyed! I thought Green Flash was good! but not as good as the Ninkasi Tricerahops! YUM

Never seen trub in any of mine but I also think this is one of those beers that should be severed soon as possible it doesn't age well the fresh hop notes fade pretty quick!

Word on the street is green flash is opening a big brewery in VA Beach. So look forward to fresher more plentiful supply in the future.

Back