Removing Red Stripe Labels without StarSan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saniclean is a stronger concentration of starsan (same company). But if people are recommending muriatic acid and CLR without results I feel this might not get the job done. Lagunitas has very similar stubby bottles...good luck

If you follow that same procedure described with the CLR, i.e. a short cup partially filled to cover only the label and not the neck, you can get the paint off with Castrol Super Clean (found in the automotive supply stores or section at Walmart). There are store brand products called something like "purple power" or something like that which may also work, but the Castrol brand will.

From reading through this thread I get the impression that there are bottles that have more of a paint and others that have more of a glass type label. I guess you might just collect as many bottles as you can then try to remove the label. If it comes off, good. If not recycle the bottle.

Sierra Nevada also uses stubbies.

How about brewing a Red Stripe clone and you won't have to remove the label...(joke)...

Although, when I was in Jamaica, I drank a bunch of Red Stripe...even took a very nice Red Stripe cruise on a 50+ foot sail boat with Mr. Marley blasting on the sound system, over to the Falls and then out to a beautiful reef for drunken snorkeling...that sounds dirtier than it was, but I did get to see a bunch of bikini tops dropping as the ladies swam through the waters...

:rockin:

Full Sail Brewery makes two beers, Session Lager and Session Black Lager..both in stubbies with paper labels. I've used them a bunch for 11oz shorts. Bench capper required.
full-sail-session-black6.jpg

I've had success with a wire wheel mounted in a bench grinder, just be careful not to get burned wear good leather gloves. It takes just a few minutes, or you could try a razor blade.

Back