Irish Moss and mouthfeel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bweatherly

Reaction score
Will adding Irish Moss decrease the thickness of my beer's mouthfeel? I know that it acts by binding and precipitating out proteins to clarify. But since it is proteins that also add thickness to the texture, will this not also lessen the mouthfeel? The science seems to point this way, but real life application always trumps theory, so please lemme know if this is false :)

i will make not a big difference on a mouthfeel because you NEED TO ADD ONLY 1 TABLE SPOON PER 5 G. if you add more than that beer will be very bitter from the taste of irish moss not from the hops! i did this ones and it was a First time that i had to trow out my beer!

Proteins can and do contribute to mouthfeel but they do not determine it either. Beers really high in proteins tend to have a muted, softened texture (think wits, wheats, oatmeal stouts) but dextrines (unfermentable sugars) probably play a larger part in mouthfeel than protein does in most brews. I don't know how much protein is precipitated out via Irish moss but I'd wager it's not a highly significant amount that will diminish or thin the texture and mouthfeel.

i will make not a big difference on a mouthfeel because you NEED TO ADD ONLY 1 TABLE SPOON PER 5 G. if you add more than that beer will be very bitter from the taste of irish moss not from the hops! i did this ones and it was a First time that i had to trow out my beer!

The recommended dose is one teaspoon per 5 gallons, not one tablespoon. I have seen doses as low as 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallons. Don't use a tablespoon, it is too much. Use a teaspoon. The teaspoon is the small one.

Back