Copper Mash Paddle of Whompitude

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
What do you do with leftover copper pipe from the lautering manifold project? Build a mash paddle out of it of course! I bring you the Copper Mash Paddle of Whompitude, +10 lautering efficiency! My 20" spoon was just not going to cut it with my keggle MLT maxxed out for the last batch of barleywine. Works pretty good, and doesn't look bad either! :D

DSCF0136.JPG

Put some Tees on the paddle to make more surface area! Thats sweet.

I was going to add one or two more cross pieces on the paddle, but I ran out of tees. I really wanted to make this thing a "spare part" project, so I just made do with what I had. If I was going to buy parts for it, I would definitely add a few horizontal bars in there.

I was going to add one or two more cross pieces on the paddle, but I ran out of tees. I really wanted to make this thing a "spare part" project, so I just made do with what I had. If I was going to buy parts for it, I would definitely add a few horizontal bars in there.

Could always hammer the pipe flat at the bottom to give more surface area.

This is one of he best ideas I have seen in a while. Simple and cheap to build. Copper has come down a lot in the last few months. Once could build this for under $10 and a lot less if you have some of the stuff already on hand like I do.

I'm gonna take this to the next level and see if I can make it look like a traditional mash paddle. Shouldn't be too difficult. Might have to bend some pipe to get the angles right. I'll post back with a pic when I get it finished. I have a wooden one, but this is just such an appealing project I can't resist. I think you have a winner with this. Just thought of something. You could drive a dowel through the tee at the top to make a wooden handle. Is this made from 1/2" pipe or 3/4"? It looks like 1/2" from here. Do you think it is strong enough? A couple of more verticle tines on the paddle part would probably make it work better. These could be horizontal cross bars instead of vertical. I would leave the pipes round. The round dowel type rakes move very easily through the mash. It's one of the most effective tools I have in my aresenal. Makes the dough in and stirring a breeze, expecially when compared to a long handled spoon.

This is one of he best ideas I have seen in a while. Simple and cheap to build. Copper has come down a lot in the last few months. Once could build this for under $10 and a lot less if you have some of the stuff already on hand like I do.

I'm gonna take this to the next level and see if I can make it look like a traditional mash paddle. Shouldn't be too difficult. Might have to bend some pipe to get the angles right. I'll post back with a pic when I get it finished. I have a wooden one, but this is just such an appealing project I can't resist. I think you have a winner with this. Just thought of something. You could drive a dowel through the tee at the top to make a wooden handle. Is this made from 1/2" pipe or 3/4"? It looks like 1/2" from here. Do you think it is strong enough? A couple of more verticle tines on the paddle part would probably make it work better. These could be horizontal cross bars instead of vertical. I would leave the pipes round. The round dowel type rakes move very easily through the mash. It's one of the most effective tools I have in my aresenal. Makes the dough in and stirring a breeze, expecially when compared to a long handled spoon.

I like the wooden handle idea! This is made from 1/2" copper and is plenty strong. It's probably a bit too long even, but still there is no flex in it at all. And even though there are no vertical or horizontal bars, it really works great to break up the doughballs. I used this last weekend on a 39.5# grain bill and it worked flawlessly. Definitely post some of those pics when you get your paddle done. :mug:

Back