Cooling source for a fermentation chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTpilot

Reaction score
I am going to need to build a box to keep temps down this summer.
I don't want to deal with changing ice blocks and I want it to be cheaper than buying a chest freezer, and a temp controller.

I have a dorm fridge and a window a/c unit. I'm wondering which would be more efficient to maintain temps in the mid 60's. I think the a/c would be easier to build around, but might use way more electricity.

I'm planning to use either of those sealed to a box built from plywood and foam insulation. And I do plan on buying a temperature controller (ranco seems to be the popular choice).The temps in my basement last summer got up to about 72-73 on the really hot days.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

You can use the AC unit. If it has a thermostat you should be able to set it for those temps. I believe the temp sensor monitors the incoming air.

But if you plan on getting a temp controller already, the fridge would be easier(and cheaper after the controller price) to convert.

I belong to a yahoo group and this paticular question was recently raised and here is one solution brought forward.

220436647.jpg

John

I gutted a minifridge and resulted with this...

It works pretty well.

BeerStuff005.jpg

BeerStuff006.jpg

BeerStuff007.jpg

Regarding Aust1227's post...

Sorry for the unrelated question. Noobie (me) wants to know what the glass(?) things are in the top of your carboys?

Thanks

Those are just airlocks. I think they are called S-type airlocks.

Back