Brewing smaller batches to get better.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashawayrock

Reaction score
I'm still pretty new. I've only done three batches so far and only one has turned out somewhat decent. I was thinking about buying a smaller carboy to do smaller batches so I could justify brewing more often to get better. I've also done some reading that smaller batches can be a handful.

Any tips in either direction would be greatly appreciated.

i brew only small batches, and l like it simply because i can brew a gallon a week, in 3 hours, and try things out all the time.

gives me about 7 bottles of beer, and that's just fine.

is especially helpful when i try new techniques, or fiddle with new recipes, and such.

and, i don't know how they can be a handful... like i said i get from fulling out the box, to completely brewed, and dishes done in a little over 3 hours.

ps... if you do this, invest in a few glass carboys, and a good blow-off tube

I do 2 gallon batches using BIAB method. Love the variety that I get to drink. Here is a video of my system. I ferment in 2 gallon paint buckets from HD, boil in a 4 gallon kettle, and mash in a 5 gallon cooler. Easy as can be making my own recipes. The video was done over a year ago and I've made a few changes but it's a good guide.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are doing all grain then it can be a large time commitment for a small amount of beer, but that really depends on the person. A BIAB batch, from weighing the grain to a clean kitchen for me is about 5 hours. When I want to make a small batch for variety, or to try out a style, I'll do a small extract batch. That is in the fermentor in less than 15 minutes. More details in my book.

Gallon glass wine bottles and plastic paint buckets work nice for fermentors. I've use pretzel kegs with good success as well. Just about any container that you can sanitize and seal reasonably will work fine.

I've been brewing for about 3 years. Started with 5 gallon batches, went to 1 gallon batches. Now I do mostly 2.5 gallon batches. To me it is kind of a sweet spot.

Good amount of beer and about 4-41/2hr brew day. I BIAB. I can wake up early on brew day and be done and cleaned and still have the day to do something else.

If you do decide to do smaller batches invest in a good scale and weigh your hops in grams. It will stop a lot of mistakes.

If you are doing all grain, it doesn't really matter what size your batch is, the time investment is about the same. That's actually a point people hit when they decide to brew more seriously, since you can make 50 gallons as easily as 5, provided you have the equipment.

Bottling may be the one argument for smaller batches, but I keg mine, so thats a non issue.

I think it's a great idea to learn to perfect techniques. Less risk, means you can try more things.

If it's about producing lots of beer, this isn't a high return activity, but for self-education, I think it is a great idea.

I mostly brew 10+ gallon batches, but will mix in a few 2 gallons every now and again. Testing/mixing etc etc. As stated earlier, doing AG it takes about the same time, but when I'm wanting to try something different, I just do a 2 gallon.

I do a lot of 2 1/2 gallon batches because I like the brewing process and like to try new recipes. You don't need a smaller carboy for them. I use my 6 1/2 gallon bucket to ferment in and they do just fine plus I never have to worry about wiping krausen off the ceiling because an airlock plugged. These buckets have plenty of space for the krausen.

When I first started doing all-grain, equipment limitations had me doing 3 gallon batches for about a dozen and a half brews. Psychologically, I think it's easier to experiment with smaller batches since it's less of a commitment and investment. I learned a lot. The only real downside is that it's the same amount of work for half as much beer.

BTW, 3 gallon batches did just fine in my 6 gallon carboys. While you probably wouldn't put a 1 gallon batch in a 5-6 gallon carboy, you can safely go to 2½-3 gallons without buying new equipment.

I do a lot of 2 1/2 gallon batches because I like the brewing process and like to try new recipes. You don't need a smaller carboy for them. I use my 6 1/2 gallon bucket to ferment in and they do just fine plus I never have to worry about wiping krausen off the ceiling because an airlock plugged. These buckets have plenty of space for the krausen.

Me too. Two and a half gallon batches, until I have a recipe tweaked to my liking, then I make a batch as big as my equip will let me. Which, if it happens to be a huge beer, it might be two gallons anyhow...:rockin:

Join a homebrew club in your area. You'll be able to get free advice on your beer, and try other people's beer.

I think smaller batches are good when you make a medicore batch. But also sad when you make a great batch. Depends on your consumption level. Obviously the more you brew the more experience you will gain. But also if you brew too much in short span, you could end up making the same mistake through multiple batches. Economics play a part too. Can you afford to dump 5 gallons of experimental beer?

One thing that scares me about smaller batch is increased chance of oxidation. Also, if you have to take gravity readings not only are you putting air into the head space, but your also robbing a larger portion of the beer.

One thing that scares me about smaller batch is increased chance of oxidation. Also, if you have to take gravity readings not only are you putting air into the head space, but your also robbing a larger portion of the beer.
I did not experience any oxidation problems with 3 gallon batches in 6 gallon carboys. Aside from curiosity, there's really no need to take any gravity readings before you're pretty sure fermentation is done, regardless of your batch size.

Equipment wise I suppose it's less of an investment, but once you have the equipment it cost around 20-30 bucks to do a 5 gallon batch, less if you start saving your own yeast. And while I guess there are merits to making a smaller batch, that also means you have less to share, and other peoples feedback can be quite valuable if you are making batches as tests.

When you say only one of your batches of beer was decent, what exactly was wrong with the other two ?

Coming from a small batch brewer of several years...I have to say that the size will have nothing to do with the quality. What you really want is three things from brewing: consistency, comfort, and acceptance at what you produce.

Consistency is key, this will allow you to produce your best beers. If you need new equipment or changes in your technique when you do smaller batches, you may not be happy with the switch. I have my system down to the point where I am hesitant to go to larger sizes because I will need new equipment. Also, you should be comfortable with whatever your brew day looks like and the amount of work you have to do. Which leads to the final part, you need to be happy with the amount and quality you produce. Whether its 7 amazing beers or 48 terrible ones, you need to be okay with the results.

Something to consider.

i like small batches because i can brew in my kitchen easily and clean up is easy too. I can also get multiple beers going at once, or do double batches if I want more of a recipe (making 2 gallons of pumpkin pie ale for the Fall, and 2 gallons winter ale for Christmas).

I like the variety that small batches allow, then the ability to ramp up quantity without large/awkward equipment.

I do envision 5 gallon batches in my future, though. Once I know I have some awesome recipes perfected :)

I've thought about 1-gallon brews so I can start to learn to create my own recipes. I think it's a fair assumption that my first shot out may produce an undrinkable beer if I am not guided well with the ingredients or left to my own devices. I think if you're willing to invest in a couple of items that would be useful for smaller batches (I can't see brewing a gallon and fermenting in a 5 gal bucket) then do it.

I do have to echo what Awfers is asking, what is it about your beer that you believe was not good? When did you brew each batch and how soon after bottling (I assume you bottle) did you try your beer?

I've learned just by reading to never discount anything I brew right away. Time can really be a friend in brewing and conditioning of the beer can turn it from yuck to yum. Of course, sometimes you gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. In the words of the great Kenny Rogers. :D

I do both 1 and 5 gallon. For whatever reason, my 1 gallon batches tend to be better on a consistent basis. But like some others have said, 1 gallon is great if the beer is meh, but really sad when you knock it out of the park.

It does let you play with ingredients and get the hang of the basics. I've done a couple of beers with leftovers of hops, dme and yeast. Always comes out interesting, and usually tolerable.

This is exactly how I learned the all-grain process and exactly how I dialed in lots of recipes. It's a great way to learn, a great way to experiment, and it requires minimal equipment. Happy brewing!

Back