Experimental Hops!! FHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so you didn't get any grassy notes from the 1210 or the 6300? i wonder how come i got that in mine? well looks like I'll make a new batch and try it again! Thanks for the Write up!

did you keg or bottle? i bottle conditioned these, brew date (2/24) to drink was just over a month. perhaps the grassy notes calmed over this time period, esp dry hop (dry hop done 3/5, almost 3 weeks prior to consume date; i usually keg so don't usually have this long of a lag on dry hop date to consume date)? or the small batch sizes hid them, but more vegetal/grassy sneaks up in a full batch?

i am also certainly not a BJCP judge nor were my three friends, we very well could have missed them, but nothing jumped out to us as grassy; at least not unpleasant. i'm going to play around with 6300 again as well, gotta figure this hop out :) 4190 is on the short list too, although I may not bitter with it given its low AA.

Ok, my single hop beers are carbonated and we tasted them last night.

Grist: 95% pale 2-row, 3% c-40, 2% carafoam. 2 gallon batch size - split into 4 boils, for four 1/2 gallon batches (fourth batch was calypso single hop). each boil separately hopped; hop schedule: ending IBUs: 70, only difference in hopping was 60 minute hop to arrive at 70 IBU. equal hopping done for all hops at 30, 15, 0 and dry hop. 0 minute and dry hop equivalent to 2 ounces at a 5 gallon batch size.

Tasting notes:

1210: Mild aroma, light citrus, light lemon. Can see how it is compared to Cascade in the official descriptors. Good flavor, favorite of 3/4 tasters
6300: Very unusual, quite sweet. Almost thought something was off with the batch initially, but after a few sips it settled down. can see how jolly rancher is in the official descriptor. Still not sure on this one, least favorite of all.
5256: My personal favorite, not overwhelming aroma, but more aroma than 1210. Light citrus, but a heavier flavor than 1210 (in a good way). Can see comparison to simcoe, although milder.

None of them "blew" me away, I think Mosaic and Calypso (most recent experimental to commercial varieties) bring more to the table, at least in a unique sense. However, I am going to use 5256 and 1210 again and see how they blend. 6300, dont know about that one....

I do also want to specify, while none blew me away (ala simcoe or citra), i do think they are without a doubt worth picking some up and playing around with. none were a disappointment at all, esp when considering these were simple grist single hopped beers where i didn't even go full force on the hopping, I think they have more than enough to offer to pick a few packs up and experiment with! look forward to more reports from other folks.

I bought some1210, 6300 and 5256 and I'll probably use some Cascades and/or Centennial with them. I likely won't use only a single hop though it would be nice to know how it tastes by itself.
Keep sending info on beers made using these hops as I am very much interested in your opinions.

i actually keg everything, i did dry hop with mine 3 oz of each 1210 and 6300, WELL i hope you have good luck! i think i am going to retry mine again!

Just dry hopped the batch brewed with the 1210 (FWH, 30min, 15min ,& 5min to get about 38 IBU) with 1.77oz 1210, .6oz Simcoe, and 1.5 oz Cascade. Smells pretty great just one night after the dry hop. Can't wait to keg this up and try it out!

Just dry hopped the batch brewed with the 1210 (FWH, 30min, 15min ,& 5min to get about 38 IBU) with 1.77oz 1210, .6oz Simcoe, and 1.5 oz Cascade. Smells pretty great just one night after the dry hop. Can't wait to keg this up and try it out!

Please keep us posted.

Well my 1210 petite pale is kegged and fairly quaffable. The hop character is hard to describe. It kind of reminds of black tea in aroma, a light citrus flavor comes out in the finish. I have over half a pound of this hop left so I'll keep throwing it into beers, but I'm not sure I would buy it again.

We have had a blizzard every day I've had off for the last month. Maybe this Sunday I'll get to brew with the 6300.

Please keep us posted.

Kegged it up on Saturday and tried another hydro sample and it's straight up grapefruit in the nose. Not sure how much of that is the cascade or the 1210 but wow it smells just like juice. The taste was more mellow and had more general citrus going on. Might have to pick some more of this stuff up if it's still available. Feel like it would go well in any fruity or citrusy beer, but could counteract some simcoe or something piney or earthy too.

I'll post again when it's fully carbed.

Is it me or does it seem that nobody is overly impressed with these hops? I'm almost no longer interested in trying these but have some so I will but sparingly. I know our tastes are subjective but I was hoping the opinions were more on the 'WOW' side.
Time will tell.

Is it me or does it seem that nobody is overly impressed with these hops? I'm almost no longer interested in trying these but have some so I will but sparingly. I know our tastes are subjective but I was hoping the opinions were more on the 'WOW' side.
Time will tell.

we have been spoiled with some of the recent hop varieties for sure that have "popped" with wow factor... however, it just takes time to find the right way to use hops and the right mixes. i mean hell, centennial almost was never commercially grown; and simcoe took quite some time to take off.... amazing to think of now, but who is to say these could fall into the same bucket. they may not be the next citra or mosaic but they are good hops in their own right.

I single hopped a Saison (Wyeast 3711) with 1210. So far it is very nice. A mild citrus/grassy note from 1210 but it needs to condition a bit more.

I haven't used my 6300 or 5256 yet.

5256 are available, we just packed them up yesterday. Very Dank!

I think the 6300 would be good in a Saison, it is very similar to Sorach Ace.

I made an IPA with EXP6300 and Conan yeast this past weekend. We will see how it comes out.

5256 are available, we just packed them up yesterday. Very Dank!

I think the 6300 would be good in a Saison, it is very similar to Sorach Ace.

looking to bulk up for summer IPAs and pales.
Any pounds of cascade, 7Cs, cenntennial soon?

also just while im asking...any mosaic or citra coming in??

Kicked the keg of this beer by the14th day in the keg. It hardly had time to clear up but everyone seemed to love it! If you like light citrusy pale ales/ipas, or cascade hops at all this is the beer for you. I'll probably be picking up more of the 1210 hops very soon. They are cheap and wonderful for aroma and flavor but im sure you could bitter with them if you wanted to as well.

Ok, my single hop beers are carbonated and we tasted them last night.

Grist: 95% pale 2-row, 3% c-40, 2% carafoam. 2 gallon batch size - split into 4 boils, for four 1/2 gallon batches (fourth batch was calypso single hop). each boil separately hopped; hop schedule: ending IBUs: 70, only difference in hopping was 60 minute hop to arrive at 70 IBU. equal hopping done for all hops at 30, 15, 0 and dry hop. 0 minute and dry hop equivalent to 2 ounces at a 5 gallon batch size.

Tasting notes:

1210: Mild aroma, light citrus, light lemon. Can see how it is compared to Cascade in the official descriptors. Good flavor, favorite of 3/4 tasters
6300: Very unusual, quite sweet. Almost thought something was off with the batch initially, but after a few sips it settled down. can see how jolly rancher is in the official descriptor. Still not sure on this one, least favorite of all.
5256: My personal favorite, not overwhelming aroma, but more aroma than 1210. Light citrus, but a heavier flavor than 1210 (in a good way). Can see comparison to simcoe, although milder.

None of them "blew" me away, I think Mosaic and Calypso (most recent experimental to commercial varieties) bring more to the table, at least in a unique sense. However, I am going to use 5256 and 1210 again and see how they blend. 6300, dont know about that one....

I'm glad you mentioned about the 6300 because I'm currently drinking a single hop pale I made with it and thought the same thing. I thought something was wrong with the batch but I get a weird nutty sweet thing going on. I agree not my favorite

Please let me know if you get more of these experimental hops in or new ones from this years harvest as I'd love to test out some new hop varieties!

Thanks.

Back