Strawberry mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy_84

Reaction score
I have made wine off and on for a while now. But the wife is getting more into mead. So being a good husband I told her I would give it a shot on making a 5 gallon batch just for her. So I started looking around and have acquired about 20lbs of strawberries. So is there anyone out there with a good strawberry mead recipe. Also I have no idea what type of honey to use this will be my first at mead.

I just started this last weekend .I didn't realize that it was for 6.5 gallons until it was almost too late. I made it for 5.5. A few days of using a blowoff tube...pushing the cap down to create a foaming volcano. (using beer grain bags) Its been eventful.
:rockin:
It tastes like sweet candy at the moment. I'll probably drop a few vanilla beans in the secondary to add some depth of flavor to it. I'm not sure how long i should leave the beans in for though. Anyone have any helpful info on that?

Get 30 more pounds of strawberries, save 10 pounds for when the fermentation is almost done in the primary, ferment your 40 pounds, pull them out and the day before you plan on transferring to your secondary add the reserved 10 pounds of berries, dont smash them, you just want the aroma from the outer red flesh. That adds a refreshing strawberry aroma that will fill the whole room with strawberry when you open it up. If you make that for your wife she will let you make any crazy wine you can come up with as long as you dont run out of this strawberry wine. Try to use a lighter honey, this is not where you want something like buckwheat:) WVMJ

I have made wine off and on for a while now. But the wife is getting more into mead. So being a good husband I told her I would give it a shot on making a 5 gallon batch just for her. So I started looking around and have acquired about 20lbs of strawberries. So is there anyone out there with a good strawberry mead recipe. Also I have no idea what type of honey to use this will be my first at mead.

I think it's funny that we're doing strawberry mead when they aren't in season. :) I just started a half gallon test batch on Friday and just racked to secondary (it seems soon, but it went from 1.110 to 1.014 in less than five days! And I wanted to do my best to keep some residual sugars). The way it started was with some leftover strawberry juice from a cake my mother made for my wife's b-day. It was about a quart, just perfect for a half gal batch. I used cote de blanc yeast and fermented it at 64 degrees (until today as you'll find in another thread :) ) It's tasting pretty good and I want to rack onto some whole strawberries in the next week or so.

Adding vanilla is a great idea! I have some muslin tea bags I found on amazon for very cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019FJQG4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

What I plan to do after hearing from other experienced meadmakers, is to cut up the vanilla beans into 1 in. pieces, take out the insides, placed them into the muslin bag and let it sit in the secondary until it tastes where I like it (same with any metheglin). I found some beans below for an excellent price as well.

Here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MHHAUY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

And here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TIVBSU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I'm looking forward to hearing the results, and I'll share mine too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and for what it's worth, I put all my strawberries in a large paint filter bag (sterilized) from Home Depot to contain the mess. It really makes punching the cap easier and cleanup a breeze. I like these because the have much finer holes than the hop bags at the LHBS.

Back