Belgian Specialty Ale Category

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
I have several beers I'm entering into a competition next month. This weekend I kegged up my ginger wit and i figured i might as well enter it too. It's a super tasty beer (the wife's favorite) but not sure it would do well in the wit category because you can pick out the ginger when its fresh. I also don't use any citrus. I'm wondering if it would do well in the specialty category. I don't expect to out rank any Brett beers that may be entered here, just looking to get some good feedback and a solid score. Thoughts on the category?

67% pils
27% wheat
7% flaked barley

.25 oz Indian coriander
.50 oz ginger root

Wyeast 3944 @ 73

15 IBU
OG 1.046
SG 1.011
4.5% ABV

It's not overpowering. The yeast dominates the nose and the front end of the flavor profile. It turns to ginger as it goes down. So, there's no hot ginger flavor, but you can definitely ID the flavor. It matches the intensity of the yeast flavor fairly well. I actually reduced it from 1.0 to 0.5 ounces for this batch, so that its not so dominant. I'll do some reading about the herb/spice category.... Good idea.

Hmmm. That might be the way to go. The description seems to work. I'll have to taste it at the end of the week when it's fully carbed to check the intensity of the ginger. Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone have any experience with either of these categories?

Latest posts

Back