Going to take a final gravity reading-how to sterilize?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Hi all, my first brew ever has been in the primary for 7 days now (haven't even taken a peek yet!)

I can't take it any longer, I need to open it up and see what's been going on in there!

While I'm at it I thought it would be a good time to take a hydrometer reading. I want to just take the reading from the primary bucket (since I don't have a theif or a sample tube, etc), what's the best way to sterilize the hydrometer? My choices are C-Brite or boiling it?

Not sure if boiling is even an option or it'll screw up the hydrometer...

Thanks!

Do you have one of those cylinders for floating the hydrometer?? I normally sanitize that with Star San.

I use a wine thief (a VERY useful tool), but you could probably use a turkey baster to withdraw samples as long as you sanitize it well and fill the hydrometer tube. (And don't return the sample to the fermenter...just use it as a sample to taste it)

Sorry...I am not familiar with C Brite, so I don't know if it is a good sanitizer.

I tried to read the hydrometer in the primary for the og and struggled. It was then suggest to me to use the tube the hydrometer cane in as the sample tube. I did not return it but drank it to see how things were moving along.

Do you have one of those cylinders for floating the hydrometer?? I normally sanitize that with Star San.

I use a wine thief (a VERY useful tool), but you could probably use a turkey baster to withdraw samples as long as you sanitize it well and fill the hydrometer tube. (And don't return the sample to the fermenter...just use it as a sample to taste it)

Sorry...I am not familiar with C Brite, so I don't know if it is a good sanitizer.

Beat me to it, but see, I can learn.

I had a hard time using the container the hydrometer came in not enough room to sink if it was around 1.014 where mine was suppose to be. Honestly i say wait till u get a thief, id go with a plastic one there wide enough to fit a hydrometer. Best 8 bucks i spent since i started brewing

Yeah, I guess I can wait till I pick up a thief tomorrow...oh well, I've waited this long.

Thx

Hmmmm, fatcity, I wonder if you're thinking of B-brite, which is just a cleaner. C- brite is chlorine based and is a sanitizer.

Correct. I was thinking of B Brite.

However, I would suggest StarSan. It's a no rinse sanitizer. C brite is DEFINITELY not a no rinse. You must rinse it well, or let it dry, which just doesn't work to maintain a sanitized brewing process. It's much like using bleach. You will need to rinse, and of course, your water isn't promised to not leave anything on your equipment that could put a damper on your beer.

Back