whirlpooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougie63

Reaction score
tried to set up my keggle for whirlpooling and failed should the pickup tube be pointing left (clockwise) or right (counterclockwise) better with a CFC or immersion, I use a cfc and recirced it thru the cfc and back into the boil kettle and tried to make a cone. I seemed to loose alot of pressure going thru the chiller. anyways how is your keggle set up for whirlpooling and what is your method to achieve a tight cone?

Dougie63 said:
anyone???

I don't use a keggle (nor play one on tv) but I did see this discussion in another thread last fall. It seems that geometry is against you.the tall, narrow build of your keggle makes a trub cone more or less impossible for many brewers.

Conversely, I have a boil kettle that's actually wider than tall, and it forms a sweet, tight cone with only a few revolutions of my brewing spoon.

Sorry if this is bad news--just thought I'd save you some time & frustration :(

Just whirlpool in the opposite direction that your tube is pointing. As long as your tube isn't extending too far into the center of your kettle, you shouldn't have to worry.

You can get a great whirlpool as long as you have a bit of whole hops in the wort, as opposed to nothing but pellets. With pellets only, the cone never stays solid and it'll get pulled apart with the suction through the tube.

No big deal anyway - who cares if the hops and crap gets pulled into the fermenter. It's not the end of the world. Your OCD senses may start tingling - but it will all settle out and won't contribute to anything bad in your beer. It will be a cake at the bottom and you'll be fine - don't worry about it if you can't control it.

The only reason I care about that stuff is when I'm using my hopback, because it will clog it up.

You can also improve whirlpool by stirring with long spoon, this is what I do (just leave spoon in wort for last 5 minutes of boil to sanitize it).
I am mostly using pellets and never have huge cone on bottom of kettle, but main reason I whirlpool (via CFC) is to get and leave cold break in BK, some of it will go in fermenter but you don't want to get rid if all cold break.

Back