Honey Porter recipe help (first recipe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mocean

Reaction score
Hey there,

So I've brewed a few kits now from Austin Homebrew and have been pretty happy with the result, but I wanted to try and make my own recipe. I've looked at a bunch of different ones and have tried to synthesize all the things I liked, but I wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid (aka: will make beer taste bad)

5gallon batch
Malt:
3lb light DME
3lb dark DME

Grains:
1lb crystal 20l
8oz Chocolate malt
8oz Honey malt

Hops:
1oz Cascade
1oz Willamette

3lbs Clover Honey

Planning on putting 2lbs honey in at around flame out and then putting 1lb honey in with the secondary

I think you'll be asking for a LOT of honey flavor if you use that much - though clover is a mild honey, you've got about 30% of your fermentables coming from it. Also, this will be a pretty high gravity beer. On the order of 1.080.

What is your hops boil schedule? make sure you have enough bittering hops to balance the sweetness.

Don't get me wrong. I love a sweet porter. You just need to make sure its balanced. Also, I've never used dark DME, so maybe there's enough bitter character there to do the balancing?

I say try it. But..... Maybe rack into 2 secondary fermenters. Add 1/2 lbs of Honey like the recipe calls(cut in half) and the other dont add any honey. That is the fun of homebrewing, experimentation. Then you will have your recipe moving forward and would have learned something.

Back