Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that pipe has a lot of character actually. Crazy idea, but does silly putty harden? You could fill in that v-shaped area between the bown and stem and then apply your paint/stain over that...

Oh, that's just a mock up. That gap will go away and the stem will get some sort of shaping.

Are you using a lathe or just whittling by hand?

My suggestion would be to create a tendon into the bowl (look at your cobb pipe for an example) and hand shape the shoulder to conform to the curve of the bowl.

Finally, maybe even look into drilling the other end of the shank for a mortise and tennon and use stock bits from Missouri Meescham.

btw, looking good.

because I'm awesome.

0219002011.jpg

GilaMinumBeer said:
Are you using a lathe or just whittling by hand?

My suggestion would be to create a tendon into the bowl (look at your cobb pipe for an example) and hand shape the shoulder to conform to the curve of the bowl.

Finally, maybe even look into drilling the other end of the shank for a mortise and tennon and use stock bits from Missouri Meescham.

btw, looking good.

I'm rigging up a lathe of sorts. I will be cutting the bowl side of the stem down and recessing it into the bowl. I have thought about MM bits. I'll be using something off the shelf. I don't really feel like learning vulcanite for this build. I'm also trying to make it with tools and materials I already have on hand(excepting the bit).

Hey Mike

Is that sweet like sugary flavorings or just a nice smooth naturally sweet tobacco flavor? Cool looking pipe BTW!

Hi Dan!

Thanks! It's actually just a cheap drug store pipe, but it smokes better than my expensive one. Go figure.

This tobacco is indeed naturally sweet. It's not sugary or overwhelmingly sweet. It has a great chocolate back bone with a very mellow finish. It's not harsh or robust. It rolls down the tongue very nicely...

Dan said:
Really enjoying watching the progress on your hand made pipe! Please keep the updates coming. :mug:

Thanks. My lathe if it works uses 12vdc motors. I don't now what they actually draw, but in a previous life they were fused at 20A. Looks like I'm pulling jumper cables to run this thing.

The pipe or the lathe? I'll take names under consideration. I'm never been big on choosing names. I seldom name my home brews.

yeah, but this is your home made pipe. beer gets drank, but this will be around a long time. I'm leaning toward Lancaster for now. I won't know until you're finished though.

GilaMinumBeer said:
Missouri Meerscaum Freehand?

I mentioned before that I chopped an inch off mine and sealed it with elmers. It has become one of favorite pipes to smoke.

Yes. It is tall. Mine had a leak at the stem. Good otherwise.

Rube Goldberg lathe is a failure. Cones on the ends of the shafts do not provide enough bite, plus these heater motors came out of my buses because they were not quite up to snuff anymore. I figured they would run fine for 5 minutes or so. Not so, they are really weak. I am running them in series right now. I might try them in parallel later but I still need to get them to bite onto the workpiece.

image-3105629566.jpg

Rewired in parallel and the speeds almost match. Added a collar on one side to add some surface area. No luck. I think the thrust load is just wearing the bronze bushings out of the motors, which opens enough of a gap for it to start slipping almost immediately.

Rewired in parallel and the speeds almost match. Added a collar on one side to add some surface area. No luck. I think the thrust load is just wearing the bronze bushings out of the motors, which opens enough of a gap for it to start slipping almost immediately.

I followed up to "added a collar" I have no idea of what your are saying, but I know you do.

Could you dumb it down for a mechanical moron.. Pics, even cartoons would be swell. :mug:

Having a beer and going through threads on here. Making me really want a pipe of carter hall. Think I'll pick some up tomorrow.

Dan said:
I followed up to "added a collar" I have no idea of what your are saying, but I know you do.

Could you dumb it down for a mechanical moron.. Pics, even cartoons would be swell. :mug:

These motors are designed to spin a squirrel cage fan. The only real load on them is the weight of the fan, which acts perpendicular to the shaft of the motor. In either end of these motors are bronze bushings instead of bearings to center the shaft and armature inside the motor case. They are cheap but not so strong. The collar is just an aluminum handle I had and put on to hopefully add enough friction to keep in spinning.

image-873398546.jpg

Thanks, the picture of the collar makes that part totally clear now.

The motors look fairly heavy duty. Are they not powerful enough maintain a good RPM on the dowel(?) the part you want to spin fast so you can lathe it? <-probably the wrong word.. work with me here. :)

Dan said:
So the dowel is still slipping?

Very. The next step is to add some sort of studs to that collar to bite into the end. A real lathe would have a 3 or 4 jaw chuck that clamps on the outside of the workpiece.

Maybe add some black electrical friction tape to the collar(s). It has a very light adhesive but should stick well enough to the collar(s) and provide better friction to the dowel. Just a thought.

These motors are designed to spin a squirrel cage fan. The only real load on them is the weight of the fan, which acts perpendicular to the shaft of the motor. In either end of these motors are bronze bushings instead of bearings to center the shaft and armature inside the motor case. They are cheap but not so strong. The collar is just an aluminum handle I had and put on to hopefully add enough friction to keep in spinning.

Sorry, I just need to go back a second...when you say "squirrel cage", what you mean is...? Pics?

Sorry, I just need to go back a second...when you say "squirrel cage", what you mean is...? Pics?

It's like the type of fan found on a furnace or an evap cooler. I don't know for sure why they call them "squirrel cage". I've always thought their shape resembles a snail shell. Sorry I'm heading off to work, so no time to find a photo for you...

It's like the type of fan found on a furnace or an evap cooler. I don't know for sure why they call them "squirrel cage". I've always thought their shape resembles a snail shell. Sorry I'm heading off to work, so no time to find a photo for you...

Oh, so disappointed. I thought you kept squirrels, and was very excited. Please, carry on.

Will you be using the whole length of the dowel? Conceivably, could you make a groove on either end to be sawed off later so that the lathe can "bite"?

I may have to smoke up a bowl of GL Pease Union Station tonight with a nice stout outside if the weather holds in the 40's or so.

Harbor freight and places have cheapish lathes... I know you get what you pay for but if all you're turning is a mouthpiece it should be fine. May be cheaper in the long run unless you have an abundance of parts around.

jerrodm said:
Ask and thou shall receive.

CreamyGoodness said:
Will you be using the whole length of the dowel? Conceivably, could you make a groove on either end to be sawed off later so that the lathe can "bite"?
I will probably lose the better part of an inch on either end. I'm working on something of the sort.

CHefJohnboyardee said:
I may have to smoke up a bowl of GL Pease Union Station tonight with a nice stout outside if the weather holds in the 40's or so.

Harbor freight and places have cheapish lathes... I know you get what you pay for but if all you're turning is a mouthpiece it should be fine. May be cheaper in the long run unless you have an abundance of parts around.
Yeah, I have a HF just a few miles from the house. I'd like a real lathe but don't have the money that it takes. I haven't spent anything yet on this one. I'm gonna try to keep it that way.

image-1350498311.jpg

Back