tubing for 1/2 barb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisbliss

Reaction score
ok so i bought a mash tun with a outside barb of 1/2" i was told to get 3/8" tubing.....so i did ... it seems way too small i cannot even get it on. Should i have gotten 1/2? also is it imperative i get high temp?

thanks for input

Tubing is measured at the inside diameter, so yes, you need 1/2" hose to fit on a 1/2" barb.
Is this at the bottom of a boil kettle? If so, then yes, get silicone (high temp) hose.

you can get by ok without silicone for your mash tun but it gets flimsy and can kink esp if you do mash out temps

i bought some silicone tubing (1/2" for 1/2" barb) and I am def happy i spent the extra money

Did you just get vinyl tubing? Vinyl can easily stretch 1/8", heat it up in boiling water.

I'd get the high temperature tubing. You don't want to go to all this trouble making your own beer just to have plasticizers or other weird things leaching out of your tubing into it.

Recently got silicone myself. For the extra $10 or so, it's way worth it. Plus it doesn't stain, can be boiled to clean/sanitize, and should last a long time.

Did you just get vinyl tubing? Vinyl can easily stretch 1/8", heat it up in boiling water.

I'd get the high temperature tubing. You don't want to go to all this trouble making your own beer just to have plasticizers or other weird things leaching out of your tubing into it.

+1 for this technique.

Yeah and don't try to stretch 3/8 silicon over the 1/2 barb, cause that's a great way to rip all the skin off your fingers trying ;)

Back