Old cider questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nexus555

Reaction score
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on the forum.

Well about 4-6 months ago (I'm completely unsure of how long it's been,) I began a cider. I used 5 gallons of Sam's apple juice (100% no concentrates, just apple juice.) I can't exactly remember what yeast I used, but I believe it was called Munton's. It was a generic type of yeast.

When I began the cider, it began fermenting well. Again, since it's been so long, I can't recall how long it was bubbling. But I believe it was over a week.

Well a lot has happened in between it's beginning and now. In a nutshell, I forgot completely about the cider until recently. Now here is where my questions come!

1.) Should I buy more yeast and add to the cider, to see if more fermenting is required?

2.) Should I open the lid and let some of the gases out?

3.) Should I taste for any form of infections?

Well, actually any suggestions are welcomed. At this point I'm not even sure if it's any good anymore. I haven't refilled the airlock or anything. If this cider is in anyway salvagable, please let me know.

Thanks!

thats about the amount of time ive heard other people let it sit so its probably set to go. if its in a glass vessel and you can see its super clear you could probably get away with bottling it.

id take a sample and see how it tastes i highly doubt its ruined

I actually had a similar situation except quite a bit longer time frame. I let mine sit a year and checked it and it didnt taste very good so I just put it back and forgot about it. I have since moved and now at the 3 year mark came across it the other day in the spare bedroom. I opened it up and got hit with the most beautiful apple smell and honey colored liquid I had ever seen. Mine is still so I just put it in mason jars and its wonderful. So I dont think you have anything to worry about.
Long time Lurker

I would check the sg to make sure it had completely fermented and take a taste at that time. If it's good, bottle it! If it's bad, well, I doubt it'd be bad, but then you can dump it if you have to.

Thanks guys. I didn't actually get an original gravity, but I could buy a thing of apple juice and measure it and then measure mine. I guess when I get home I'll check it out. Well, it's going to have to sit for a little while longer, since I have no bottles!! Does 3 months sound normal for amount of time bottled?

Back