I have a 4 oz of columbus hops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good idea. What kind of malt flavor are you looking for to balance the hops? Are you looking for a drier IPA or a sweeter, more full-bodied style?

I'd say columbus is similar to cascade and centennial, but a bit more earthy and resinous and slightly less aromatic. If you want a drier beer, 40% rice, 40% sorghum, 10% light-ish honey (not buckwheat) and 10% raw sugar will get the job done. Adding a few pounds of medium-toasted grains (I'd do rice, corn, or quinoa) would also be good. Don't forget to add a few oz of maltodextrin, and use a yeast like US-05 or S-33 (I've found both to mow through simpler sugars and give a very high attenuation).

I recommend a single hop ipa of around 60-70 ibus.

It's a great bittering hop. I love it.

I like the idea of 1 oz at 60, then 1oz each at 10, 5, and 0. Columbus really give that dank west coast hop flavor and aroma.

I like the idea of 1 oz at 60, then 1oz each at 10, 5, and 0. Columbus really give that dank west coast hop flavor and aroma.

I love Columbus. I like this schedule, but I'd go with .66 oz at 10, 5 and flameout. Save an ounce for dry hopping!

One thing I've read is to stay away from the 20-30 minute addition of Columbus as it can add an onion or garlic flavor.

I brewed a columbus pale ale that I just drained the kegs on and it was great. It was medium body, but not too sweet. At first I couldn't stand the aroma, it was too dank, but it faded after about a week and became a great beer. Below is the recipe I used:

8.5 lbs 2-row
.5 lbs of Carapils
.5 lbs of Crystal 60

Hops:
.5 oz @ 60
.5 oz @ 15
.5 oz @ 5
1 oz Dry Hop

WLP-1060 Cali Blend Yeast

Okay so this is what I have come up with, We Don't Give A Damn For the Whole State of Michigan, Columbus IPA (I know, I know, long title but I'm a Buckeye and every time I hear, see, read "Columbus" I think of my beloved alma mater).

I'm going to go extract only. My best IPAs have been extract only thus far so I think I will continue with that trend. I also want to try rice syrup solids since I've never used those, only brown rice syrup.

3.3lbs Sorghum Extract
1lb rice syrup solids
1lb candi syrup (clear)
8 oz maltodextrine

.5 oz @ 60
.5 oz @ 15
.5 oz @ 5
.5 oz @ 0 minutes

1 oz Dry Hop for 7 days in primary

S-33 yeast (which I have never used).

I think I will bottle with 1 cup of clover honey

I plan on brewing this in January-February and have it ready for Spring/Summer. Mainly because this weather lately can't be beat and my fun money is being spent out on the golf course.

Thoughts? Does that look like a good recipe for a columbus IPA?

Back