Darkness Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delvec28

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1272
Yeast Starter
Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
32 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 62 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 68 F
Tasting Notes
Delicious
12# American Two-Row
1# Crystal 60L
0.5# Debittered Black Malt
0.5# Cara-Pils
0.25# Chocolate Malt

Mash for 60 minutes at 149. Boil for 60 minutes.

Hop Additions:

FWH - 1.0 oz Apollo (18.6% AA)

20 Min - 0.5 oz Centennial (9.2% AA)

10 Min - 0.5 oz Centennial (9.2% AA)
10 Min - 0.5 oz Citra (13.6% AA)

0 Min - 0.5 oz Centennial (9.2% AA)
0 Min - 0.5 oz Citra (13.6% AA)

Dry Hop - 0.5 oz Apollo (18.6% AA)
Dry Hop - 0.5 oz Citra (13.6% AA)

This is the best tasting beer that I have ever brewed - been doing all-grain for the past 9 months or so. The gravity and efficiency were lower than I wanted on brew day, but maybe that mistake was for the best.

It was also the first beer that I kegged, along with my first Dunkel lager... so that made drinking it that much better.

Either way, this will end up being my first duplicate recipe... might be in the fall though after I get my kick of summer beers!

More detailed notes of my brew day can be found here: Darkness IPA

6978697703_8e2e737a09_b.jpg

Yikes that's one heck of a blow-off, is 62 degrees your ambient temp? If so, that would make sense because the beer is probably closer to 70 degrees I would guess.

Yikes that's one heck of a blow-off, is 62 degrees your ambient temp? If so, that would make sense because the beer is probably closer to 70 degrees I would guess.

Yea, the basement stays pretty constant at 60-62 during the winter, and 68 degrees in the summer.

It actually blew off like that twice - I cleaned it up and thought the main fermentation was over... 1 day later I had the same mess.

That fermentation paid off, really looking forward to duplicating this recipe. Even purchased the debittered black malt last week!

Back