an interesting brewing guide from the 1800s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clay9_24

beerganeer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished reading "The town and country brewery book" that I first found in an antique bookstore. They wanted 700 bucks for this old book so a quick glance was all I got. Then I did a Google search and found this book was on Google books for free! It was printed in the 1800s in England and has really interesting instructions on brewing. Seems they do a lot of steps while barely understanding how they help them.

Anyway here is the link it is at least a good book to read on a flight or road trip. http://books.google.com/books?id=euFuxoTQd4UC&printsec=frontcover&output=html_text

Oh wow I will have to check those out. My favorite suggestion so far from these old books has been to put a shovel of coals into the mas. I guess they were adding soot to change the ph and didn't even understand.

In fact the first post has several links to things about brewing in the 1800's, that's the stuff I am most interested in, and that was what I was researching when I decided to start a repository of all the historical links I came across.

Cool book....I was especially interested in the section of "AN OLD METHOD OF GIVING BUTT A FINE TANG."

I'm always looking for an old-school method of getting my azz some fine 'tang. Gotta love 18th Century English.

TopherM I couldn't agree more about the "giving porter or butt a fine tang" I laughed my arse off. I am saddened that the hogshead unit of measurement has become obsolete. I am going to make it my new personal goal to reference everything from hence forth in measures of hogsheads. Wow the old English speak is already stuck in my head after that read.

If you're interested in wines at all, I have this book called "Old Time Recipes for Home Made Wines." It wasn't much. There are some neat copies of old recipes with a beer and cider here and there. Some of the recipes are hard to understand and some are just odd...but it's fun to read.

In the OP there is an even better deal. The book is free on google books. I would love to have another original brewing book. I have a german brewing book from the 1700s. It appears all hand drawn art with printed text. I don't know any german but it is still entertaining to read through.

Back