NB's Rye Malt Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm hoping Denny will weigh in and let us know if this stuff will work for his Rye IPA.

It will work fine for beers with just a little touch of rye...look at the breakdown of extracts. 70% Pale, 20% rye and 10% C40 so you would be a bit limited on what to use it for

I am very excited about this. They all ready have 3 or 4 recipes that includes this Rye malt and they all look great! I cant wait to try them!

I am just reading up on brewing and bought a kit with a friend to make some beer. explained last night the differences between extract and partial-mash brewing and used the lack of rye as an example of the limitation of the former. Now I have no credibility.

Stuck run-off/sparge is the issue with mashing with rye. It can be sticky stuff from what I understand. I do BIAB so its a non-issue - nothing to get stuck.

Just noticed this the other day and was pretty excited over it. I've been on a pretty big rye kick lately and was planning on doing a rye as soon as I go all grain. Guess now I get to try rye extract before the rye all grain

I would appreciate if someone could describe the difference made by using rye malt instead of barley. I've read it is a "spicy" taste, but am not entirely sure what that means. I've had the Red's Rye IPA from Founders and thought it was pretty good, but couldn't really put my finger on what the rye malt added to the taste.

Think light caraway seed flavor...or heavy if you use a lot (and some caraway seeds as well ;p)

Or go to your local supermarket with a bakery around 6am on a sunday and grab a loaf of thier Jewish Rye and a loaf of wheat.

Spicy is a decent word...I usually say it has a zing to it.

I've been tossing around the idea of doing NB's Black IPA kit and subbing some of the extract with this. Not sure about how that would affect the color though since it uses dark extract.

I've been tossing around the idea of doing NB's Black IPA kit and subbing some of the extract with this. Not sure about how that would affect the color though since it uses dark extract.

That's a great idea. Karl Strauss has a black rye out right now that's just wonderful. In fact I may have to give this a go, especially since i've done that kit twice in the past and everyone loved it

That's a great idea. Karl Strauss has a black rye out right now that's just wonderful. In fact I may have to give this a go, especially since i've done that kit twice in the past and everyone loved it

I have yet to try NB's Black IPA (still new to brewing), but it is definitely on the list of soon-to-brew. I'm curious though if all of the dark LME should be replaced with rye LME or maybe just go 50/50. Might have to mess around with BeerSmith a little.

Latest posts

Back