Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleAught

Reaction score
I've scored a rather large chest freezer from a co-worker and am wanting to see what the veterans recommend I control the temperature with. I'm excited to be able to keep my fermentations at a constant temp, and can also try my hand at lagering finally.

Thanks for any advice.

Look up the eBay DIY build, super easy and cheap- plus works great !!

I use a Johnson controller and have 0 problems with it. One of the reasons I kept from starting this hobby for so long was not being able to brew during the summer because of the heat. Now I don't have to worry about that. :)

I don't either kenpotf. It can bee 100 degrees in my garage but my beer stays at a nice chilly 65 the whole time.

I've got a spare chest freezer and a spare fridge in my basement. Does it make more sense to have the chest freezer as a keezer and a fridge as a fermentation chamber? I don't have any kegs yet, so the fermentation chamber is a high priority whereas the keezer is not.

LandoLincoln said:
I've got a spare chest freezer and a spare fridge in my basement. Does it make more sense to have the chest freezer as a keezer and a fridge as a fermentation chamber? I don't have any kegs yet, so the fermentation chamber is a high priority whereas the keezer is not.

I like my chest freezer as my kegerator. Im looking to buy a fridge for a chamber. It doesn't really matter though

I have a johnston controller and love it

There is a thread in the DIY section to adjust your freezer's setting so that you don't need to buy a controller. However I don't think you can adjust the temp to be all the way up in the 60s. You might be able to get it to the 40s though.

+1 on the chest freezer with a Johnson. My refrigeration needs are getting out of control. I have the chest freezer, which really now is just a lagering/storage chamber--can't remember the last time it was set at anything other than 33. I ferment in the basement fridge (stainless Kenmore Gold) I have expropriated from SWMBO (also has a Johnson) (the fridge not SWMBO). I now have a 40 cf older industrial stainless fridge in my garage that is for storage/cold conditioning. Scored it cheap off Kijiji (like Craigslist) and a buddy of mine who is a refrigeration pro got it running great, with an industrial temp controller, for basically nothing.

The other day I told SWMBO she could have her refrigerator downstairs back if I could find an apartment-sized chest freezer to use as my new ferm chamber. She was not amused at first but I think I will be able to talk her into it.

There is a thread in the DIY section to adjust your freezer's setting so that you don't need to buy a controller. However I don't think you can adjust the temp to be all the way up in the 60s. You might be able to get it to the 40s though.

I saw that thread. I was thinking I might be able to modify my freezer's temp control to get that into the high 30's for keg temps and modify my refrigerator's control to get it up to (lagering?) temps. I have my doubts about the temp control for the fridge, though. I'm going to have to play around with it and see.

Back