Artificial sweeteners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steven85

Reaction score
Does anyone know if artificial sweeteners like sweet-n-low or splenda are fermentable? I'm pretty sure they aren't, but I'm trying to avoid a massive mess in case they are. I'm trying to make some alcoholic sweet tea; and I'm planning on adding the artificial sweetener at bottling, as well as priming sugar. Will the artificial sweetener cause any problems with carbonation? And if it will, will the extra sugars cause the bottles to explode during conditioning? Thanks in advance!

Splenda works great, it doesn't ferment but does thicken. I would use the packets not the baking version , because the baking version has a much larger concentration of Maltodextrin ( it's a beer additive used to thicken liquids) so you use less packets than baking splenda. I use it all the time to make a killer lemonade.

Ok, thanks for all the info. I don't have a keg, so force carbing won't work :(. How do you make your lemonade yodalegomaster? I've tried three or four times and couldn't get fermentation to start. Each time I used a different lemonade (I checked for ingredients that kill yeast, but I didn't find any that I'm aware off) mixes, but nothing.

This is my recipe, it takes a long time to ferment out but it works.

Very Hard Lemonade
0- Untitled Style
Author: Yodalegomaster

Size: 15.00 gal

Ingredients:
22 c Lemonade Concentrate - added dry to primary fermenter
1.0 ea Lalvin EC-1118
2 c grape-nuts - Boiled and added to primary fermenter
4.0 lb Light Brown Sugar
Water to 15 gallons
Schedule:

Add lots of 02, roust every day, It it will take 7 weeks to finish off. yes 7 weeks. When bottling add bottling sugar, then splenda to taste. 40-50 packets.

Back