Who Grand Cru / Hop Overkill???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crackhead7

Reaction score
I brewed a ten gallon batch of the below recipe loosely based On "Who's in Garden Grand Cru" but as I tasted the beer when taking readings I thought to myself this is awfully bitter for what I was going for and So for the first time I took a look at the IBUs that probably ended up in this brew. I ended up calculationg the IBUs around 24, the beer looks beautiful and smells amazing but it had quite a tart zing to it when tasted, not that this is bad but not quite what I intended. Maybe age willl bring it to where I was going or maybe I had a heavy hand with the hops. However it is looking like its attenuating well over 80%. let me know what you all think!

10 gallons / 60min boil
OG 1.051
FG 1.002 so far after 7 days

10 lbs Mortons extra Light DME
4lbs Clover Honey

60 MIN HOPS
18.48g 7.5 AA Perle
18.48g 5.8 AA Tradition
2.8 g 3.2 AA Saaz

15 MIN HOPS
18.48g 7.5 AA Perle
18.48g 5.8 AA Tradition
2.8 g 3.2 AA Saaz

5 MIN HOPS
18.48g 7.5 AA Perle
18.48g 5.8 AA Tradition
2.8 g 3.2 AA Saaz

.75 oz freshed crushed corriander @ 15 MINS
1.5 oz Dried Orange peel
.75 oz freshed crushed corriander @ 5 MINS
1.5 oz Dried Orange peel

24 IBU's? You're fine. You're easily fine. The yeast can be a bit sharp, and the spices might add a bit to their perception too, but mostly this is just too young to judge. I've been quite concerned about bitterness in some of my beers before - until they finish, condition and age for a bit. Especially if you bulk cold condition for a while.

Once again, time heals all.

i have this papazian recipe just finishing up in the primary about to bottle this weekend. i see you also used different hops then the hallertau it calls for, maybe thats why.. either way im sure your brew is great.

that was Bitter orange peel, and I have been playing around with different hops particularly the saaz and perle both of which I really like. I am probably just "helicopter Parenting" its like sending your kid off to school for the first time thinking "is he going to be okay." when in reality he was fine and never even thought once about home, im sure it will be fine. I was hoping someone who felt possessed might check my math on the IBU calculations.

what was your boil volume? That can affect your IBU's. If we know that, and when you added the honey and DME, we can calculate the IBU's accurately.

i boiled both honey and DME for the full 60, didnt think about waiting on the honey till the end till after it was in the pot. Ill have to do that next time. I boiled 7 gallons, added 3 gallons cool filter to help bring down temp with immersion chiller. I used WLP400 that was a 2l starter split, most scientifically (hmm I thnk this one needs more), between the two 6 gal fermentors.

I'm getting 24.9 IBU's, assuming those are all pellet hops. So basically the same, yes.

yes they were pellets. thanks for checking the math, sure my rounding didnt help to much that puts me right on the high side of this style. This one might have to sit a few weeks to mature nicely. I'm excited to see it with a nice head of foam since i feel that I got the color / aroma right.

Did you use all filtered/spring water or did you use tap water? I've had problems with astringency when I used tap water even though I put 5.2 in the mash water. The PH was still really high and it tasted like I was drinking rubberbands. :(

If you fly sparged, what was your gravity reading near the end? I usually call it quits when it reaches 1.015 just to make sure I don't get any tannins. Either way, it should mellow at as it ages right?

tasted this again when doing the readings, seems i was over reacting, proably the yeast i think this brews going to be fiinnneee!

Back