Fellow Brewers advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppy_Chulo

Reaction score
It's been 10 days now since I racked my wort to the fermentor.I checked my grav. reading at the 6th day 1.030. I thought that was odd so I added a another s-04 dry yeast in. Checked next day 1.030 again so added fuel yeast. Checked today no movement airlock did bother with the grav bc I know it's gonna be 1.30. It doesn't really matter about the ABV .I'm just trying to figure out what caused the difference. I've made this same batch before and my fg should b 1.015. N E way to get it to 1.015? Maybe aeriate ??

Something else is wrong. Let it sit at least one more week, bottle, wait three weeks and enjoy.

I had a similar problem with S-04 last fall. My stout never got below 1.029 when it should have been down in the 1.015-1.020 range. I tried pitching S-05 on top but it had little effect. I will not use S-04 ever again. There have been so many problems from recalls to underattenuation that it is just not worth it. I would give it more time and maybe try to overcarb it a bit to make it more drinkable. GL

I've never rehydrated the yeast I've always just throw it in. Never had problems till now.

if you are going in a way its not mean that this is the right way...
suit yourself i think that not re-hydrate the yeast its taking a chance that the fermentation progress will not go as planed...

It's been 10 days now since I racked my wort to the fermentor.I checked my grav. reading at the 6th day 1.030. I thought that was odd so I added a another s-04 dry yeast in. Checked next day 1.030 again so added fuel yeast. Checked today no movement airlock did bother with the grav bc I know it's gonna be 1.30. It doesn't really matter about the ABV .I'm just trying to figure out what caused the difference. I've made this same batch before and my fg should b 1.015. N E way to get it to 1.015? Maybe aeriate ??

Sounds stuck, warm it up and swirl to re-suspend the yeast. Take a gravity reading after a few days. If that doesn't work you can rack on to a yeast cake and that should knock it down for you.

The only other thing (I assume this is an Extract Batch) I can figure is that you got some bad DME/LME so you may need to add some amylase enzyme to create more fermentable sugars.

It's actually an all grain batch. Tried swirling and is started bubbling for a sec but I'm shure that's due to the swirling. I'll check the gravity mon. Which will b 14 days. If it's the same I'll just dry hop and let it ride.

It's actually an all grain batch. Tried swirling and is started bubbling for a sec but I'm shure that's due to the swirling. I'll check the gravity mon. Which will b 14 days. If it's the same I'll just dry hop and let it ride.

If your mash temp was over 160 you can easily end up with a poorly fermenting wort. Add additional enzymes and you'll be good.

S-04 is pretty flocculant. Sometimes flocculant English yeasts will drop out before they finish the job. Swirl the ferementer gently to get the yeast back in solution. Then wait a few days and check gravity again.

I've used S-04 on multiple batches with good results. I like the characteristics of that strain and its ease of use. I have never heard of a recall for S-04. Nottingham was the dry English yeast that has had recalls recently.

If your mash temp was over 160 you can easily end up with a poorly fermenting wort. Add additional enzymes and you'll be good.

I'll echo the above, if you mashed too hot or not long enough to get complete conversion you wouldn't have created enough fermentables in the wort. Did you do a starch test after mashing? What was your mash temp? What did your grain bill look like?

Mashed in at 172 held temp @ 155 for 1 hour. 12 pounds of grain as far as starch test never heard of it.

Mashed in at 172 held temp @ 155 for 1 hour. 12 pounds of grain as far as starch test never heard of it.

See if your local homebrew shop has iodine. If you take a spoonful of mash water, add a drop of iodine (which is black). If starch is still present, it will remain black. If it immediately turns clearish light brown, conversion complete!

I used to do this, but it's a waste of time (IMO) once your process is dialed in. I always get good conversion.

Whether you converted or not, I'd drop some amylase enzyme in there to see what happens. If your gravity doesn't move in 3 days, then I'd drop that brew on to a fresh yeast cake from another batch.

Checked gravity at 2 weeks dropped to 1.022 . Next day I added some enzyme and it started bubbling . I'll checked the gravity mon. again.

checked gravity today and it was 1.010 at 70 deg. which would make it 1.011. So it's Even lower!!! Thanks for all your help!

Latest posts

Back