Controlling Brett with Pasteurization?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CenturyStanding

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of wild ales, but I've always found the dynamic nature of these beers to be frustrating. Take Orval, for instance. If you drink it too fresh, the beer is a touch bland and hasn't quite had it's potential unlocked, but if you drink it older than a year or so, the farmhouse flavors become too overpowering and the subtly of the malt and hops get lost.

Now, hypothetically speaking, if I wanted to capture the sourness of a homebrew at a particular level, could I pasteurize it? My thoughts are that I can brew a Belgian Pale Ale traditionally, then transfer it into secondary and pitch the brett. I can taste it at regular intervals over the next 3-9 months, until the desired sourness is achieved, then pasteurize, filter and force carb.

Would this work? Is there a simpler way of doing it?

Thanks in advanced for the help.

I would think that would be the ideal way to capture the souring level. after the pasteurization, the only flavor changes you'll get will be from aging.

Northern Brewer has an Irish Stout kit (St James Gate) that splits a small amount off for a fermentation with Brett C. You then can pasteurize it before adding it to the bottling bucket with the larger fermentation.

I brewed this about a 1 1/2 months ago, not enough barnyard smell in the Brett yet, I will wait at least another month.

I wonder if hitting it with a couple Camden tabs would be sufficient to kill off all the brett. Let the sulfur clear for a few days, then pitch some fresh yeast, prime, and bottle.

I think I've found an even better solution. I could probably do it the way Guinness does. I brew my beer, ferment it regularly, but put a certain percentage of the wort in a side barrel and ferment that with brett. When that is fermented dry and completely sour, I could pasteurize it, then blend it with the non-soured beer until desired sourness is achieved. I still have live yeast from the main fermentation, so it'll carb naturally and develop in the bottle, but the brett will be dead so it won't over-sour.

How does that sound?

Back