Hop cone ID please, photo's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerClaw

Reaction score
My first year cascade are getting all kinds of these spiky flowers. Are these female, do they turn more hoppy looking later in the season? Thanks

4815785415_8aed179bc8_o.jpg

4816409690_641c856e77_o.jpg

First off, your hops look incredible. You must be taking good care of them.

Those little things are called burrs. They will eventually form into a hop flower which will then turn into a cone.

Oh man, can't wait until they look like those photos! Thanks for the info.

The cascade are really pumping out flowers. I also have nugget which are just starting to flower and goldings which are growing slower with no flowers. First year for them all. They are growing in the veggie patch with really rich soil. I pruned down to one stem per rhizome and let them climb.

You really shouldn't have pruned anything if they're first years. Sure, they look good now, but you're not building much of a root structure for them.

You won't get much yield from your goldings this year, if any. I didn't get any from mine until the third year.

You really shouldn't have pruned anything if they're first years. Sure, they look good now, but you're not building much of a root structure for them.

You won't get much yield from your goldings this year, if any. I didn't get any from mine until the third year.

Each clump pretty much only had one strong stem and the rest were just stringy things. I left the main one alone though, lots of side shoots coming off so they should feed the roots. Sounds like I will have to wait on the goldings. I read it can be a finicky one. It is BC Goldings.

I didn't trim my first year hops, but this year, I need to go out almost daily to trim them. I left four bines per plant this year and trimmed the rest. There are new bines sticking out of the ground everywhere, and due to the limited space I have for them, I just keep cutting them off. They are contained in boxes, (two 4x4's stacked on top of each other and filled with compost, built with the tops at or just above ground level) and they're trying to escape. I need to reengineer the hop trellis for next year, they're getting too big for the way I have it set up.

Back