Seattle Brewers! 08/02/2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philrose

Reaction score
Lets do what we do best!

Who's down for a Seattle proper brewday? Who knows, could even turn into a casual HB club. I'll volunteer my place and a delicious keg of whatever uber tavern has on special for the first brew :D.

I'll be sending PM invites out but don't be shy, if you're in Seattle and want to brew/drink with your peers this is one place to do it.

Brew some different styles or a group large batch? All experience/skill levels welcome. AG/PM/XT come one come all.

Queen Anne, near the QFC is the rally point. Lets hammer out some details!

-Phil :mug:

Sounds good to me...especially since I live a mere 4 blocks away from that QFC.

Post a date and time and I'll try to make it.

Thanks for the invite philrose, unfortunately I am back home in Alaska for the summer. I would certainly be there if you do this after summer, my place is not too far either, on Capital Hill.

I can walk there from my house. I'd love to swing by. Let me know when you nail down a date.

I'm in. Give me a weekend and I'll do my best to make it. I have a propane burner and pot/mash tun big enough for 10 gallon batches. :)

Cool, looks like we've got about 6 brewers in on this including me. Everyone seems pretty local too!

So lets talk dates- would a sunday work for most people? I work mon-sat and usually get a day off during the week and a sunday. I could also do a saturday with a little advance notice.

I'm happy to host, I may live in a little condo in the city, but its ground floor with a small yard and parking spot that are well suited to outdoor brewing.

We can brew, fire up the grill, eat some of my wings and the girlfriends hummus. good times!

I'm going to throw out a date to start things, feel free to suggest another time. Sunday August 2nd? Let me know.

I may be able to do that., have to check the schedule as I know there is some concerts or something coming up. Is this a brewer only event, or are GF's invited?

Man, I wish I lived in Seattle still :( I vow to make it back someday though. I just can't take all this crap down here with this f'd up state.

I moved down to CA (Sunnyvale) for two years because of work after about 4 years in Seattle. I loved the CA weather, and the food, and the culture. Ultimately though I just couldn't afford to live there. Cost of housing is just out of control. No good living in a weather paradise if you can't afford to go out and enjoy it. I just moved back to Seattle in October.

So will we each be brewing something on site? Some things that come to mind is it could be tight with multiple people vying for say cooling water for a wort chiller, or cleaning space for rinsing carboys and brew pots etc. Also tough to get ferm temps controlled to a good level if it was a warm day. Probably some other stuff I haven't thought of either. Sounds very cool. I've just never contemplated off-site brewing and just curious how all these issues are dealt with.

So will we each be brewing something on site? Some things that come to mind is it could be tight with multiple people vying for say cooling water for a wort chiller, or cleaning space for rinsing carboys and brew pots etc. Also tough to get ferm temps controlled to a good level if it was a warm day. Probably some other stuff I haven't thought of either. Sounds very cool. I've just never contemplated off-site brewing and just curious how all these issues are dealt with.

I agree that 5 cools at once could possibly be problematic.

I have a hose and three sinks that could potentially be hooked up to CFC/IC's. I'm sure my building is regretting that decision to evenly split the water bill! :p

seriously though,

I think its probably a good idea to split into 2-3 teams and do an even exchange of some sort.

That way-

(Pros)
-We can all learn from each others techniques on a small level
-Less logistic congestion (Chiller hookup, rinse water and the like)
-Less ingredient cost
-Split duties on the "work" of brewing that should make for an "easier, quicker" brew day
-More time to goof off and have a beer/chicken wing/etc

(Cons)
-Less net beer per brewer (yes, a crying shame!)
-Less styles coming out of the session

This would also require that at least one person per team would be a "head brewer" of sorts. Meaning that this person would stick around from dough to pitch.

Anyway, it makes sense to me. Could be a good ice-breaker and even a friendly competition!

Regardless, lets not take things too far and rdwhahb. :mug:

I am fine with the idea of splitting some of the brewers into teams. I would be happy to join up with someone who already has something in mind and help supply the ingredient bill. Also not opposed to bringing some sort of munchies as well either cooked, or something to grill, and or some drinkables.

I'd just enjoy the get together and the experience. I'm just getting my on site brewing to run fairly smoothly and have closely nailed my last couple batches so probably shouldn't push my luck too hard brewing offsite. :mug:

So I was wondering if anyone is interested in brewing a big beer with me. I've been reading Radical Brewing and came across the doble-doble mash.

Here's what it would look like:

We'd mash 10 lbs of grain to a regular gravity.
Collect first runnings in BK,
Heat to strike temp instead of boiling
Dough in a fresh 10 lbs grain with the original wort.

Expected gravities for this technique are well over 1.1. the sparge from the other batch could be used for a nice mild as well.

I think this would be easier with two MLT's instead of cleaning out one.

Interested?

Seattle Brewers- I want to do a quick head count on who is intending to attend and who wants to brew on sunday.

Reply back sometime before thursday please.

Thanks!

Turns out I'm going out of town this weekend and won't be back until Monday.

Keep me on "the list" though if you have future brew happenings.

Brewtopia just told me about this! I'm up for it. My brewing setup isn't portable, but I'd be up for helping brew. What food/drinks should I bring?

How did I miss this? Dangit..I work Sundays. If you ever do one of these on another day, I'd love to be there.

OK. I can make it. I'm not ready to haul all the brew equipment out so I will likely assist one or more of any others brewing.

Is there a list of what is being brewed? I can bring some hops or grain to help with someones ingredient bill.

I'll bring some bottles of some recently brewed stuff as well.

I'm buying ingredients today. think its too early to make a starter?

Its so crazy hot I've been rethinking what to brew. I'm starting to think Saison.

To beat the heat I'll make sure there's a nice quaffer on tap!

So I sent a bunch of PM's, sorry if things get a little redundant.

Anyhow, dough in will be at 1:30, I'll be lighting a grill a bit after that. I'm going to pick up some chicken/brats/veggie burgers as well as some dips and such.

Got some homebrew you're proud of and want to share? Bring it! Got an up and coming micro that everyone should be drinking but doesn't? Bring it! Maybe there's a soda that has some really cool flavors? you get the idea.

Really, bring whatever you feel like. Its going to be hot (mid 80s), ice is generally a good idea. I might run low on chairs if everyone is outside which is something that just occured to me :eek:!

Had a great time. Thanks to philrose and SWMBO for being excellent hosts. philrose brewed a Saison, the rest of us watched and drank. It was great hanging out with Mosa, Zen_Brew and their SWMBOs. Mosa and Zen_Brew brought some great homebrew and I brought a couple of Naked City beers. I'll post some pics once my phone charges up. If you can't hold out, I Tweeted throughout the brewday. You can check it out at www.twitter.com/nakedcitybeer

:mug: Welcome to the brewday everyone!

Let me know if you need directions.

Phil:

Thanx so much for the hosting to you and swmbo. Most gracious hosting all the way around. Great to hang out and help brew. Great to try all the great beer everyone brought from Brewtopia,, Philrose and Mosa, and great to share some of my pipeline.

I had a blast and it would be great if we did these kind of get togethers more often. I'll have to look at the logistics of hosting m own get together sometime. It was a great way to spend a Sunday!! I didn't remember the camera so looking forward to some of Brewtopias pics.

Great time!

Some really excellent beers were sampled, homebrew and commercial.

Big thanks to all that could make it out.

Yeah I had an awesome time too! Thanks for sharing your place with us PhilRose! Highlights for me were Brewtopia's Basil Imperial Pils, Zen_Brew's IPA, and PhilRose's worst beer he's ever made (not bad by any stretch!). Cheers guys!! :mug:

Here's pictures!
PhilRose checking his brewing calculations w/ BrewPal
photo_5_1.jpg

Brewtopia fixing a runaway hose from the wort chiller!
photo_3_2.jpg

A take on Hot Scotchies. This was first runnings mixed with a little Rogue Whiskey. A mighty tasty beverage.
photo_4_1.jpg

A shot of the group. Left to Right, Zen_Brew, PhilRose, and Brewtopia.
photo12.jpg

:eek: That runaway wort chiller hose was crazy! The thing smacked one of the hot scotchy glasses straight into the concrete wall!

Nobody's hurt...thankfully!

Holy cow. Hydro shows from 1.082 to 1.009

Brew pal gave this beer the following stats:

88% app. Attenuation
25 ibu
9.6% abv

This thing is easily the booziest creation to come out of my humble fermenter.

Now for the obligatory hydro taste...

Delicious. Flat & warm. I catch the peachy esthers smelled earlier in the ferment. A bit on the "hot" alcohol but masked by the yeast and malt. Malt does come through the relative dryness.

This sucker is good!

So, to secondary after a short d-rest? Or just bottle that bad boy? Input appreciated!

Mosa, brewtopia, zen_brew, you guys gotta try this brew!

Wow! That is quick to drop that much in gravity. You know, somehow I don't know what yeast you used. I missed the whole yeasting of the wort. What did you put in there? I understand some of the saison strains will kick the final gravity even lower than where you are at now.

I will definitely be keeping my ears open for when it is done. I'm looking forward to trying one! :mug:

wyeast french saison I think the strain is 3711.

kept it warm too, other than the bit of hot alcohol I really liked the flavor last night.

Back