Keg vs bottle (for beginner)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dd61757

Reaction score
So I'm a new brewer and already own a keg-o-rator. I was wondering if I should bottle my first batch to gain the experience, or just go ahead and buy a corny keg and put it in there. My opinion is if it is easier and I have the equipment, then do it. I just wanted to know your opinions.

Reverend JC said:
Totally keg from the beginning.

What the Rev said.

I have bottled 3 batches so far, I have 3 batches sitting on hand that I need to bottle, and I don't wanna do it.

I'm already up to 250+ bottles, and I'm ready to ditch them. Give me das KEGS!

Yup, if you've got most everything in place already I say keg. I bottled 30+ batches and I despised it everytime.

Although kegging hasn't been much better for me yet. I force carbed two kegs last Friday and had to go refill my 5lb CO2 tank already. Freaking leak somewhere that I can't find is really ticking me off.

Absolutely keg if you can. Bottling is the one part of the process I hate. Since I started kegging I only bottle when giving away a large amount as gifts or for big beers that need lots of aging.

olllllo said:
You own the kegorator.

There is a small learning curve with cornies, fittings, etc?
Is this first batch started? Or no.
I haven't started the first batch in my new system, but have brewed in a different one though and yes, I own the kegorator. How difficult/different are the fittings from a normal (store bought) keg setup?

I was just wondering if this was a 1 week window or six. Sounds closer to six. I don't think it's really that hard per se. It would be difficult if your beer is in secondary and you're waiting for cornies to be shipped from Michigan and you still haven't figured out how to siphon, etc.

You have time.

The fittings are totally different then store bought fittings. You need to change out your sankey tap for corny keg posts. You can find them on my site for 8.99 a piece and you need an in and an out. The rest of the setup is the same. Bottling isn't really that hard it is just tedious but kegging is much easier. If you follow the average persons advice you should be just fine kegging unless you have a leak and then it sucks and you need to tear your system apart.

I thought I posted in this thread this morning, I guess I closed the browser too soon.

I bottled my first 10 batches.

I bought 3 cornies last night.

The cornies are still in bleach in the bathtub.

I ain't bottling jack anytime soon.

Bottling = the SUXXOR

Back