"Clean Up" Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

encsteph

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've got a bunch of ingredients laying around that I would like to "clean up", any thoughts on what of these I can use together that might come out tasty?

I don't necessarily have to use them all.

6lb Amber DME
14oz Briess Black Patent
8oz Crystal 20L
12oz Crystal 60L
8oz Honey Malt
14oz Roasted Barley

2oz Mt. Hood
0.5oz Williamette
0.5oz Northern Brewer
0.5oz East Kent Goldings

Wyeast 1056
Wyeast 1098

I've already got a cream stout and an espresso stout going so I would like to avoid anything really dark like that.

Any thoughts/suggestions/comments are welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Eric

use the amber dme, crystal 60, and honey malt with all the hops to do some sort of amber english ipa.

Try this:

Use all the amber malt. Steep all the honey malt, not more than 2 oz of the black patent or roasted barley, and half the Crystal 20 at about 150F for 30 minutes. Then bring that and the DME to a boil. Add the hops:

Northern Brewer for 60 minutes
Willamette for 30 minutes
Goldings for 15 minutes.

Either yeast would work, but I would probably use the 1056, and save the 1098 for something more true to style.

This is sort of a brown ale. If you want to have some fun, toss some dark molasses late in the boil, or dry hop with some of the Mt Hood or a vanilla bean.

Hercher,

Why only use half the Crystal 20? Would using all of it make it too dark?

I think it would give you too many unfermentables, leaving an overly sweet beer. You probably already have some of that in the DME.

Back