Can I Save My Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orkojoker

Reaction score
May have overdone something on my first stout attempt. Took a wee taste a few days into fermentation and the bitterness is off the chain.

8.5 qt batch

3.3 lb Munich LME
4 oz English chocolate
4 oz black malt
4 oz roasted barley

about 1.25 - 1.5 oz chinook/simcoe blend at 60 (it's what I had on hand)
no aroma or finishing

Should I expect the bitterness to mellow? I was thinking of adding some vanilla extract and/or honey to secondary to balance it out a bit and add some different flavor.

Does this sound reasonable, or should I just let the stout ride as-is?

Thanks for your input.

1.5 oz of high alpha hops at 60 minutes in a 2 gallon batch? Yea, that's going to be insanely bitter. Bitterness does tend to fade over time, but good lord.

I'd brew up another 2-3 gallons of the same thing, with no hops, and then mix the two. Probably your best bet at this point.

Time will also take care of it, probably.
I brewed a rye, coffee, hoppy beer out of what I had around the house and it was way too bitter.

I kept giving it time and had a glass from time to time to see how it was doing.
Turned out awesome.

Here's the tricky part. I made five gallons and there was probably a gallon or so left when it got to the point of being great.
You are starting out with less than I drank checking on it!

Back