First All-Grain Brew questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Y0ungun

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I plan on brewing my first all grain brew soon and had some questions. I want to brew a smoked porter and I wanted to know, how do you know if you need an acid or protein rest, and what would be the optimal temperatures for brewing a darker beer such as a porter.

Cheers!

With today's modified malts, you can single step mash (150-154 is common) with no problems...as far as optimal temperatures for brewing...boil it!

+1 for single step mash.

Presumably you are talking about mash temps, right? The "average" starting point is 152. If you are going for a sweeter, fuller beer, then use a slightly higher temp eg 154. If you are going for a drier, crisper beer, use a slightly lower temp eg 150. For a first brew, I'd plan on 152. That way, you can miss a little in either direction and still be in a good range.

Agreed. Single step is all you need. That being said I normally do a protein rest at 122 and adjust pH at that time. I think it produces a better head, but haven't done scientific experiments to prove it. I'm actually brewing two beers this weekend and have limited time on one of them, so I'm skipping the protein rest on that one.

Here are the details:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/10/mash-ph.html?m=1

never seen the need for the acid rest.

I wasn't sure yet. I have heard good things for both. For now let's say fly sparging

Being your first all grain I'm going to suggest batch sparging. I've never fly sparged, but it just seems like a lot more time and effort for very little if any benefit. I'm sure some of the fly spargers will argue that but...
The baseline is usually 1.25 qt/lb of grain for your mash. and then sparge with whatever volume of water you need to reach your preboil volume. usually around 6.5-7 gallons for me.

Acid rests typically no. If you want to do it, go for it. Multistep mashes are fun. Try brewing it with the rests and anouther without the rests and see what one you prefer.

Back