Would I be stupid to not bite and get these?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First you should decided if you want to go pinlock or ball lock. The foot print of pin locks is slightly bigger.

Or you could always ferment in them.

Are there really any advantages having or the other? Besides the size which would determine how many kegs I'd be able to fit into a Keezer.

I have 8 pin locks and one ball lock.
Just a matter of what was available and inexpensive. Original pins were $15 each, six or seven years ago.

I havent started shopping for keg so as far as pricing for new / used kegs, whether they are pin or ball locks, I have no idea. I surf craigslist every day and i believe this is the first time I have seen any kegs on there down here. Guy said he would snap some pictures and send them to me tonight. I'm assuming no one has contacted him about them nor will any body. $20 each a fair price on these?

Or you could always ferment in them.

How do you ferment in a keg?

I've seen this suggested before, but I can't seem to wrap my head around a couple logistical issues. Namely, how do you vent pressure? You'd normally use an airlock or blowoff tube - how do you do that with a keg? And also, wouldn't it be a nightmare to try and scrub krausen and trub off the inside of a tall, dark keg and get it truly clean again?

Just wondering how people do this.

How do you ferment in a keg?

I've seen this suggested before, but I can't seem to wrap my head around a couple logistical issues. Namely, how do you vent pressure? You'd normally use an airlock or blowoff tube - how do you do that with a keg? And also, wouldn't it be a nightmare to try and scrub krausen and trub off the inside of a tall, dark keg and get it truly clean again?

Just wondering how people do this.

if its a dedicated fermentation keg then it only taks a drill and a $1 grommet.. CIP cleaners wil clean every particle of fermentation out without scrubbing..

if its a dedicated fermentation keg then it only taks a drill and a $1 grommet.. CIP cleaners wil clean every particle of fermentation out without scrubbing..

If you take off one of the posts and jamb on a piece of tubing for blowoff, there's no need to drill it at all. Then you can still use it for its original purpose later on.

The one thing you might think about is the fact that the ball lock is easier to come by most places and you would need to get setup for them also if you wanted to use both.
Not a huge deal though.

Back