Using Chinook Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottab

Reaction score
So I'm going to brew an apa style beer of my own recipe, not a kit.
The ingredients i have are:
6lb golden lme
1lb wheat lme
8oz each crushed and mixed cara-pils, crystal 20l, and victory malts
1oz of chinook
2oz cascade
Wyeast 1056 washed yeast
Irish moss
Yeast energizer

I was thinking of boiling the chinook 11.1 alpha for bittering and the cascade for the aroma my question is this...
In working up the recipe in beersmith if i brew the whole oz of chinook with the full 6lb golden lme the resulting brew would be on the low end of bittering.
Would you split the extract and the chinook boil 3lb malt with .5 oz chinook then add the other half of both at 30 minutes then 1oz of the cascade at 15 with the wheat and the other at flameout or just do all the lme at the beginning of the boil with the full oz of chinook then the 2oz of cascade at 15? I'd like it to be a balanced brew and not get a harsh bitterness.

Start with a couple of lbs of LME + the full ounce of Chinook.

Add the rest of the LME late. I would add it just before you add the finishing hops (cascade), and allow the brew to come back to the boil before adding the hops.

You might want to add the cascade at different times. As an example, add 0.5 ozs at 15, 10, 5 and 0 minutes. It will give you a more complex hop profile.

Calder said:
Start with a couple of lbs of LME + the full ounce of Chinook.

Add the rest of the LME late. I would add it just before you add the finishing hops (cascade), and allow the brew to come back to the boil before adding the hops.

You might want to add the cascade at different times. As an example, add 0.5 ozs at 15, 10, 5 and 0 minutes. It will give you a more complex hop profile.

Would you reserve some cascade for a dry hop?

My personal preference is to add the LME all at knockout. I'd do the chinook all at 60, cascade all late, maybe and oz at ten, oz at knockout. Probably no need to dry hop with a knockout steep, but it'd never hurt.

My flavor and aroma hop additions are getting later and later. With cascade I am partial to additions at 15, 7, and 0.... At 30 I think it becomes nondescript. I have always wanted to try chinook late, but never have.

Totally agree on late extract additions. Just enough at the start to aid hop utilization, but the rest at the end. I have to do some more research into the particulars, but it seems to work out well.

Latest posts

Back