Yeast not settling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deuce40

Reaction score
I've bottled a batch of my mango wheat about a month ago and the yeast is not settling down to the bottom after refrigeration. It's been in the fridge for three days now and there is a noticeable separation between where there was yeast and where there isn't now. Anybody else notice this while chilling their bottles. I didn't cold crash after fermentation. I'm not too worried about it but just want some reassurance. Thanks

image-3894315646.jpg

The yeast will definitely drop out. You said mango wheat. Did you add real mangos?

Sometimes adding fruits can cause hazy beer, case in point pumpkin. It's notorious for hazing beers up permanently. If you've had it crashed for 3 days and it's really cold (30s), then your yeast has dropped a significant amount, as well as some hop proteins, etc. Just gonna have to live with how it is now. It's a wheat anyways -- some yeast can never hurt that style.

I'm going pop one open tomorrow and see what it tastes like. I've had almost half of the batch already and none of them looked like this before but if they taste the same wth. Who cares

...Sometimes adding fruits can cause hazy beer...
X2 on this. If you have real fruit in the mix you probably have some pectin haze. Most of the other solids should settle out. The haze doesn't hurt the taste in cider, it just doesn't look that great.

Cracked one open yesterday and tastes great. It looks cloudy like most wheats but not to bad. Tastes a lot better then the other bottles cause of a longer conditioning period

Back