Group Buy in Chicago #5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what you mean by additional costs but a 50# bag of great western 2-row comes out to less than $30. Saaz is about $8/lb when you buy in 11 pound boxes.

It certainly is pretty phenomenal.. I brewed my first beer with the bulk grain Sunday and I recon that it cost me about a 1/3 what it would cost me getting grain from the LHBS

cyclogenesis said:
It certainly is pretty phenomenal.. I brewed my first beer with the bulk grain Sunday and I recon that it cost me about a 1/3 what it would cost me getting grain from the LHBS

It's kind of funny I almost don't want to open the bags up because I don't want all the cheap malt to go away. Although unlike many things at least I have tangible results in the end! By the way how do I export a Beersmith recipe so I can post it as text? I've never figured that out.

So I went to my recipes, changed the report to "classic text" and hit "save report"

For some reason cut and paste does not work in my BS.. So I need to dump to text file and the open it in a text editor to copy and paste into the forums..

I might be interested in jumping into this the next time around... what's an estimate of the additional costs per bag?

There's a couple bucks for shipping and paypal fees. I think mine came out to be an extra $3.40 for the a 50# sack CAN 2ROW.

cyclogenesis said:
So I went to my recipes, changed the report to "classic text" and hit "save report"

For some reason cut and paste does not work in my BS.. So I need to dump to text file and the open it in a text editor to copy and paste into the forums..

Did you try ctrl+a to select all then ctrl+c for copy?

There's a couple bucks for shipping and paypal fees. I think mine came out to be an extra $3.40 for the a 50# sack CAN 2ROW.

Mine was similar, the delivery + paypal charges were about 10% of the prices listed in the catalog.

This was my first time with a group buy, and it went great. My first attempt to mill my grain at home didn't go as well, but I think I still made beer yesterday.

Anyone have suggestions on grain storage options? For now I just have it in those orange buckets from Home Depot.

Did you try ctrl+a to select all then ctrl+c for copy?

Not the CNTR a.. Let me go check.. hang on the "preview" button FTW!

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Home grown
Brewer: Scott Collis
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.41 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.28 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 15.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 1 39.1 %
5 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 39.1 %
1 lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.8 %
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.9 %
8.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.9 %
6.4 oz Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.1 %
6.4 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 7 3.1 %
1.20 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 21.0 IBUs
0.30 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 4.0 IBUs
0.30 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 60.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg London Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1028) [12 Yeast 11 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 12.8 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 18.17 l of water at 74.6 C 68.9 C 45 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.34gal, 4.61gal) of 75.6 C water
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mine was similar, the delivery + paypal charges were about 10% of the prices listed in the catalog.

This was my first time with a group buy, and it went great. My first attempt to mill my grain at home didn't go as well, but I think I still made beer yesterday.

Anyone have suggestions on grain storage options? For now I just have it in those orange buckets from Home Depot.

those buckets work fine for storing grain.

Wagz and his wife Star mentioned the exact same thing today when they were here. Who's up for hosting this?

Depends on the number of ppl hosting bigger group could be hard for many of us (me included) but maybe we could organize picnic in forest preserve or something like that? Just throwing an idea out

Ideally, someone with a nice, grassy big yard and centrally located I'm thinking.

I use those along with the Gamma lids. They are reusable and easy to get in and out of. They also provide an airtight seal.

The lids are my biggest concern with the HD buckets. It seems like I basically have to break them to get them off. Do you know of any decently priced source of gamma lids?

kwhyte said:
The lids are my biggest concern with the HD buckets. It seems like I basically have to break them to get them off. Do you know of any decently priced source of gamma lids?

Home depot $7

For grain storage i have been using 6gal food grade buckets i picked up from local bakery for free (together with nice lids), if you have bakery around ask them, they may be trashing lots of good buckets there

For buckets, Uline sells a 6.5 gallon pail with a slick ratcheting twist off lid from M&M industries. They're slightly more than a 5 gallon Homer bucket with gamma lid at about $15 each with a min order of 5. I pick them up will call in Waukegan to save shipping. I think Adman found that US plastics has them too and will ship singles.

ForumRunner_20120731_232027.jpg

I'd be in for a Group Buy brew-a-que.

Hops alpha acids info from this buy:

> HU-90GMG11-150 GERMAN MAGNUM 14.5% > HUK-90GL-150 EK GOLDINGS 4.8% > HU-90MTF11-150 GERMAN MITTELFRUE (HALLERTAUE)5.13% > HU-90STG11-150 SLOV STTRIAN GOLDING 4.3% > HU-90GSZ11-150 CSECH SAAZ 3.4%

Ok so thanks to Cyclogenesis and Wegz15 I'm able to provide the pumpkin porter recipe to bill and all. I would go heavier with the pumpkin pie spice, but I would add it to the secondary.

Pumpkin Porter
Brown Porter
Type: Partial Mash Date: 9/17/2011
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal Brewer: Paul Herrera
Boil Size: 5.74 gal Asst Brewer: Wingnut Brew Club
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: paul's
End of Boil Volume 5.20 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal Est Mash Efficiency 94.1 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 75.8 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 12.1 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.1 %
8.0 oz Molasses (80.0 SRM) Sugar 4 6.1 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 17.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 6.0 IBUs
1.00 tbsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -
6.00 Items Cloves (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 8 -
1.00 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 9 -
30.00 oz Pumpkin (Boil 0.0 mins) Other 10 -
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [35.49 ml] Yeast 11 -
1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.49 ml] Yeast 12 -

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.052 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.4 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 %
Bitterness: 23.2 IBUs Calories: 165.2 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 21.8 SRM

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Full Body Total Grain Weight: 8 lbs 4.0 oz
Sparge Water: 4.15 gal Grain Temperature: 69.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 155.0 F Tun Temperature: 69.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Saccharification Add 10.08 qt of water at 168.2 F 156.0 F 45 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F 10 min
Sparge Step: Fly sparge with 4.15 gal water at 155.0 F
Mash Notes: Temperature mash for use when mashing in a brew pot over a heat source such as the stove. Use heat to maintain desired temperature during the mash.

Carbonation and Storage
Carbonation Type: Keg with priming agent Volumes of CO2: 2.2
Pressure/Weight: 1.66 oz Carbonation Used: Keg with 1.66 oz Table Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 65.0 F

Notes

Created with BeerSmith

Not the CNTR a.. Let me go check.. hang on the "preview" button FTW!

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Home grown
Brewer: Scott Collis
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 8.41 gal
Post Boil Volume: 7.28 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 15.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 1 39.1 %
5 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 39.1 %
1 lbs Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.8 %
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.9 %
8.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.9 %
6.4 oz Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.1 %
6.4 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 7 3.1 %
1.20 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 21.0 IBUs
0.30 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 4.0 IBUs
0.30 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 60.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg London Ale Yeast (Wyeast Labs #1028) [12 Yeast 11 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 12.8 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 18.17 l of water at 74.6 C 68.9 C 45 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.34gal, 4.61gal) of 75.6 C water
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back story on this recipe? My wife LOVES ambers and I haven't found a solid consistent recipe.

Back story on this recipe? My wife LOVES ambers and I haven't found a solid consistent recipe.

Not to get too far off topic, but if you're interested in a straightforward, sessionable amber, I have had great success with Jamil's American Amber in his brewing classic styles book. Bill helped me brew (and drink) 10 gallons of that a few months back.

-Adam

Not to get too far off topic, but if you're interested in a straightforward, sessionable amber, I have had great success with Jamil's American Amber in his brewing classic styles book. Bill helped me brew (and drink) 10 gallons of that a few months back.

-Adam

indeed, I did!

Amber is a bit of a misnomer.. it is actually a red ale (whole heap of melanoidin)

Just about finished bottle aging now and tasting very nice.. The last addition was actually wet hops (4x multiplier) fresh from my chinook bine

-Adam
The group buy is over so this thread needs a new topic!
This one? http://brewlogblog.wordpress.com/2009/11/14/american-amber-ale-recipe/

Amber is a bit of a misnomer.. it is actually a red ale (whole heap of melanoidin)

Just about finished bottle aging now and tasting very nice.. The last addition was actually wet hops (4x multiplier) fresh from my chinook bine
keep me posted.

The wife is FINALLY drinking one of my homebrews after 5 years and its GreenwoodRover's recipe :(

adman said:

-Adam

I have also had great luck with that same recipe. In fact my brother brewed it and dry hopped with Amarillo and won a medal at the Drunk Monk competition. He currently has 5 gallons fermenting in my brew room as we speak!!

Me and my brother are gonna try making an Imperial IPA, 109 IBU's, but the majority of the hops don't come in until the last ten minutes!!! Let's see what happens.

Ahhh listening to basic brewing podcasts again huh? I tried this and it does work but you still need to use a hop with an AA over 8% to get anywhere near 100 IBU's

Anyone know how shipping works with CMT? I'd be up for doing a grain buy and having it shipped to my residential garage, and I'm in Des Plaines. Not sure if that hurts or helps...

allthingsgiant said:
Anyone know how shipping works with CMT? I'd be up for doing a grain buy and having it shipped to my residential garage, and I'm in Des Plaines. Not sure if that hurts or helps...

I believe Randar tried to open an account on behalf of his club and was told they were not accepting new accounts. You can always try.

Me and my brother are gonna try making an Imperial IPA, 109 IBU's, but the majority of the hops don't come in until the last ten minutes!!! Let's see what happens.

August 2nd is hoppy IPA day!

I did a hop bursted simcoe citra Amarillo with .5 oz of each at 15, 10, 5 & FO that unfortunately due to lack of impulse control got blotted out by too much bittering Columbus. Doing a planned First wort plus an extra spontaneous 90 minute was too much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back