Extract to All-Grain Recipe Converting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfessorBrew

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've heard of suggestions for converting AG recipes to extract versions. But has anyone heard of a tool to go the other way around? I want to try my favorite extract brew as an all-grain version.

1lb grain=.75 LME=.6 DME. This works for light ot pils extract. If youare trying to convert amber or dark, then it is difficult because there basically is no way to figure out what malts and the amounts theyused to get the amber/dark extract.

Some extract has a small percentage of carapils.

Ok. I have a recipe for a pretty big beer that uses 6+ lbs of light extract and 1.5 lbs of amber extract. So I'll need about 11-12 pounds of grain? I was thinking of some caramel malt to make up for the amber extract.

Ok. I have a recipe for a pretty big beer that uses 6+ lbs of light extract and 1.5 lbs of amber extract. So I'll need about 11-12 pounds of grain? I was thinking of some caramel malt to make up for the amber extract.

That should get you pretty close. Maybe some Carmel 60 or 80 should give you a pretty close recipe. Plug them into your software to see which gets you the color and that should help.

Back