Beer naming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood205

Reaction score
hello all,

My first brew is in the bottle now, so I am just waiting a few more weeks before It's ready. All my friends and family keep asking what I call it, and I haven't thought about til now. Do you all name your beers? Maybe you can throw some ideas out there for me. I only have one idea, but the wife wasn't a fan. Being that this was my first brew, I have been thinking about it constantly(money,ingrediants,equipment,temp,time,sanitizing,cleaning,fermentation,and weather I screwed up along the way). So, I thought Ponder's Pale Ale was good. Here's my own recipe I used.

BRIESS PALE 2 ROW 8lbs
BRIESS 40L CRYSTAL MALT 1 lb
DINGEMANS BELGIAN BISCUIT .5 lb
CASCADE 1 oz (60)
CHINOOK .5 oz (10)
CHINOOK .5 oz (1)
CENTENNIAL 1 oz (dry)
SAFALE US-05

Congrats on your first beer. Most of us call our beer something, but mostly its just one more way we can think about homebrew.

:)

Oh and I like the name Ponder's Pale Ale. Beats Newb Ale.

I usually name mine something to do with the music I am listening to at the time. My last one was a Kolsch that came out at 1.045 so I named this one Kolsch 45.

Barry:mug:

I deer hunt so I named one of mine "dog's brown down ale" another one is named after my dog "Maggie's golden doodle ale" the firs one is a brown ale, the second one is a blond ale.

Ponder's is good. I like less-than-obvious names.

I brewed a Marzen on 3/31, but fermentation didn't start until April 1st. Called it Fool's Gold. :)

I never used to name my Mr. Beer brews, but the batch I have fermenting right now is Throggs Neck Brown Ale, because my fictional brewery is called the Throggs Neck Brewing Co. after the neighborhood where I grew up.

I give my beers woman's names on the day they are born, er, brewed. There's Samantha, my first. She was a wonderful cream ale. Then Veronica, Madeline, Melinda, Sasha, Kathleen, Isabella, Diana, and the latest Gabrielle. The names roughly match the type of beer, like Kathleen is my Irish Red and Gabrielle is a German Alt. I've designed some labels with cartoon women with hair color that roughly matches the beer color.

The SWMBO still looks at me kinda funny when I mention that Gabrielle is babbling away happily in the basement, or that Diana is stuck in a bucket in the corner. I just think it a fun and interesting way of naming the beers that can go with some label art.

Mike

Back