Cracking grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cos

Reaction score
I just purchased a corona type grain press. I've never cracked grain before, so I'm not sure how to set it.

Can someone upload a pic of what properly cracked grains look like?

I also use a corona and get a great crush, just make sure that the result does not have any whole grains left in it. Maybe 1 or 2 for every 20 or 30 is ok, but most should be cracked.

Here is one from Blender's gallery:
2699-graincrush2.jpg

When you do yours with the Corona, you are going to get more flour. But that's OK. The whole trick with a Corona is to grind a bit into your hand, check the crush, then adjust the knob on the front, repeat. Once it looks good, set the nut and don't budge it unless you know it needs tweaking. Corona's do an OK job, particularly if you batch sparge, but they aren't as 'user friendly' as an adjustable roller mill.

Also, don't be afraid to make the crush a little finer and finer each batch. When you finally hit one that gives you a stuck sparge, then back off a wee bit and you know you have it.

Cheers! :mug:

Great pic. Just what I needed.

What is a stuck sparge?

Its when the grainbed gets compacted and the wort stops flowing out of the tun. It can happen from over-crushing, especially if you use grains or adjuncts high in beta glucans (gummy materials) and/or huskless grains. You can get them un-stuck, but it can be a PITA and a time-killer.

Back