How To Prevent Skunky Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timeforchili

Reaction score
OK, I've now read in several books and over a dozen posts on this site that UV light chemically alters hops causing a "skunky" smell/taste. What I've always wondered is what effect do temperature fluctuations have on beer? Specifically, if I get a growler of somthing cold on a road trip and it sits in my car's trunk for a weekend getting up to +100 deg, is it ruined? In college we always thought that brew thats been iced down and warmed up (usually leftovers in a cooler after a party) will taste nasty, or nastier for that matter if nastier is even a word. Is this fact or fiction?

Don't use green bottles. Don't leave a growler of fresh brew from a keg in the trunk over a weekend. Sheesh, growlers are meant for immediate consumption. I would not leave a 6 pack of commercial beer in the trunk over the weekend in this heat. Now come January when the temp drops into the 50s & 40s you will be OK, but growlers belong in the fridge and then in your stomach ASAP.

EdWort said:
Don't use green bottles. Don't leave a growler of fresh brew from a keg in the trunk over a weekend. Sheesh, growlers are meant for immediate consumption. I would not leave a 6 pack of commercial beer in the trunk over the weekend in this heat. Now come January when the temp drops into the 50s & 40s you will be OK, but growlers belong in the fridge and then in your stomach ASAP.

While i agree that leaving the pour guy in the trunk was a major kerfuffle and would have been avoided if i'd remembered my cooler, your answer does not say what affects heat may have on the delicious bubbly.

Also, I've already fallen into the immediate consumption trap some years ago...trying to keep my wrap sheet clean.

Back