Sanke Keg Tube - Good for Anything?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
So I have this keg tube from the sanke keg I made into a keggle. It's just sitting here begging to be converted into some kind of useful beer making appliance, but I'm not really coming up with anything I could use it for. LOL

Anyone have any thoughts??

:mug:

I used mine as a level indicator. Just marked gallon markings on it. Some use them for sight glass protectors, Some have used them as handles for SS Mash Paddles. Basically it's a large SS tube. Use it for whatever comes to mind. Perhaps a breaker bar for the garage.

how malleable is the tube material? i'm wondering if i couldn't split it open a few inches from one end, open it up, shape it round, and make a cool spoon??

not sure though if i'd end up breaking the metal when (trying) to open it up.

Stainless isn't known for being malleable :) Just hold onto it...you'll find a use for it. I have a small bin for parts like this that I check before startng any projects. I've gotten to the point now where I almost have everything I need without going to the hardware store!

Maybe drill a line of holes up the side and solder fittings at either end....then use it as a sparge apparatus?

I cut the top off of a keg this weekend using a Campbell's Soup Can and Garden Stake Jig. Yes, I was more redneck than you.

I plan on using mine as the filter for a randall thats not yet built. I just got a 5 inch filter housing and I think it would work great. I like to have stainless wherever possible

so i was able to make a spoon out of it. just took the dremel to it and then opened it up with pliers and then used a ballpean to round out the spoon part a bit. worked out well!

i made a tap handle out of the top part... will post a pic of that later tonight when i get home.

spoon.jpg

I plan on using mine as the filter for a randall thats not yet built. I just got a 5 inch filter housing and I think it would work great. I like to have stainless wherever possible

This is exactly what I did and it works great. I just drilled 3/32" holes (you'll have to check my blog on it for the accuracy of that size) all around the bottom of it and it does the trick.

I'm also in the process of converting one into an electic mash stirrer.

Fashion a shield from the cut top, a helmet from a dead corny keg and brandish as a mace. Head to your nearest Renaissance Fair.

Back