Question about indirect sunlight & beer/fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
I had to move my fermentor into my kitchen/dining room. I have my brew fermenting in a carboy covered by a thick white t-shirt in a water bath, but the room gets a far amount of light. Should I be concerned with light getting through the t-shirt and funking up my brew?

I know your brew is inside, but I have seen house painters get sunburns through t-shirts.

Do you have any spare towels you could use instead? Big cardboard box? Closet?

On a related note, what about the amount of light transmitted through the translucent white fermenting buckets we all seem to use?

I put black t-shirt over the white one to add another layer of protection. I do not have a way to block the light or move the carboy now as active fermentation is present.

The swamp cooler is not in direct sunlight, but the room does get a far amount of light throughout the day.

I have my carboy sitting in a swamp cooler with 3 shirts over it (2 white, 1 red). It is probably overkill, but I am not going to worry about that. At the very least you could throw maybe another shirt over your carboy.

Back