SWMBO hobbies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersh

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has been covered before... Just curious what hobbies your SWMBO have? Mine used to complain that she didn't have any hobbies and couldn't find any that she liked, while I have several different hobbies that are all expensive and time consuming. Last Christmas I bought her a book about making jewelry... She didn't really look into it until this Christmas when a friend gave her some equipment, my sister gave her some stuff, and I gave her some stuff for it tooo... So now she's started doing that and is addicted, which is a blessing and a curse... Blessing because yesterday when my brew session went about 2 hours longer than planned and we had to push back our afternoon plans, she didn't care or even notice because she was working on her jewelry, and a curse because in the last week she's spent about $200 on supplies, $200 that I could have used for a new 15 gallon brew kettle that I need :drunk:

None here. She's made art her job now so very seldom does she pull out a canvas anymore.

I did that. It sucks when art becomes work. I have not painted for 2 years since I started taking commissions. Don't nag her about it you feel so inclined. It's a sticky ol' tar pit for her. :(

We have some things (actually most things) we do together. Mostly fishing, kayaking, boating, etc, that involve being outdoors. My solitary hobbies are brewing and reading. Bob gardens mainly. He has a greenhouse, and the whole bit. He mentioned last night that I spent $600 more on my brew rig than he did on his greenhouse. I didn't even think he noticed! :D

His gardening isn't "just" gardening, though. He started with the seed catalogues a month ago and diagrams out the beds and keeps records. He'll start seeds in February or March, and put new shelves in the greenhouse. His gardening hobby is definitely on a par with my brewing.

HWMO's not big on the brewing part, but he certainly enjoys drinking my beer, researching commercial styles, and touring breweries with me. His separate hobbies include nature photography, creating/recording music, and playing video games. It's definitely a plus when your partner has separate hobbies - even if it does steal your brew funds to a degree. She can't cry about another $40 brew recipe if she drops $200 for some beads and wire! :mug:

He mentioned last night that I spent $600 more on my brew rig than he did on his greenhouse. I didn't even think he noticed! :D

Mm-hmm. Don't be surprised to find a $599 charge from Burpee on the credit card bill in the near future. (grin)

If I had a SWMBO (right now she's my fiancee - they "obey" part hasn't kicked in yet because we live in different countries) her hobbies would be reading, cooking, and drinking whiskey that I can't get here in the States.

Dave

HWIMBO and I brew together. We share a lot of interests. But much more than I do, he also likes collecting and designing poker chips, and playing poker. I could take it or leave it, and tend to get pretty bored after hours of cards.

I think it's nice to have some things that you do together, and other things you just appreciate about each other. He plays poker well, and designs some really beautiful chips. I like to hear about his strategies, and when he's played well or poorly, just because he's so excited about it and enjoys it so much. He also does a good job of listening (or at least of appearing to listen--HA) when I talk about gardening or when I can't decide whether to get the Mr. Stripey or the Brandywine tomato seeds.

Also, I like cooking and he likes eating, so that works out pretty well, too. :)

You can take the girl outta the jungle.......

You can MOST DEFINITELY take the jungle out of the girl.

...it just isn't legal in most states.

My SWMBO loves gardening (we had about 200 square feet of heirloom tomatoes last year), baking, and recently she's been learning to crochet.

Mail order bride, SWEET! You can raise her up all proper and what not.

Yeah.... no. She's the Assistant to the President of a sizeable entertainment company. She's not likely to take instruction from a lowly design engineer.

But isn't it amazing what you can find on the Internet?

Dave

We golf and scuba dive together. She likes photography, and is supportive enough of my hobby that she at least TRIES every beer I've brewed (she still hasn't found a beer she likes). In return, I tried brewing a Cider (not sweet enough) and am looking at some other recipes. She also took flying lessons, but that was also mainly to be supportive of my love/hobby of flying. Also, in case she's riding with me and I have a heart attack/anneurism/etc... I wanted her to be able to land the plane.

She wants to get into skydiving, but there's no way on God's green earth she's getting me to do that. I'll fly the plane and watch her jump, and meet her at the bottom - but I'll never jump unless a plane's on fire.

Lots of women chiming in here!

I get HWMO, very clever, WTF is HWIMBO?

SWMBO needs a hobby. She occasionally bitches about the time I spend brewing beer and growing peppers. (I start mine in December and they are going strong).

My response of "would you rather I was out at bars and playing poker?" is starting to wear thin.

Damn where do I start.

My wife has a large closet full of paper, stamps, scissors, a Cricut machine, etc... that she claims she doesn't have time/space for.

Earlier this year she got into beaded jewelry making. Imagine being taken into a store with 30+ rows of beads, the horror.....

And in the last few months she has taken up knitting.

FWIW, I kind of agree with her on the first two hobbies as she has to set up a table somewhere in the house to dig all of that stuff out and it's a PITA to put it away every day.

Knitting on the other hand just involves some yarn and needles.

My SWMBO, has a small Ebay Store, and a few silly a$$ facebook games.

During this time of the year her store keeps her pretty busy, she makes and sells leashes for that Nintendo DS/DSi

My wife reads, on average, four books a week. She does cross stitch (she has some projects she has been working on since before we met 12 years ago), has recently taken up knitting, has been trying new ways of cooking for months now, plays the organ and piano (part-time professionally but also bangs on the piano quite often at home).

I get HWMO, very clever, WTF is HWIMBO?

Ha, that's funny. I typed the vowel I read in my head--I was meaning HWMBO. (We must both be obeyed--we are pretty even steven, but we have more or less completely different methods of transmitting "orders.")

However, I think I MUCH prefer nealf's take on the acronym...

HWMBO - I guess if thats what you want to call him.... Obeyed, Ha! :D

Anywho, I wish he would have an actual hobby, I keep trying to work on him to do something. We both ride and ride on the track
untitled-1.jpg

4a-1.jpg

(which is very expensive btw) so he pretty much is constantly tinkering in the garage, which I guess is his thing...

I brew, he helps me drink it and I like making candles. Maybe some of your wives, who sound pretty crafty, would enjoy doing the same...

We have some things (actually most things) we do together. Mostly fishing, kayaking, boating, etc, that involve being outdoors. My solitary hobbies are brewing and reading. Bob gardens mainly. He has a greenhouse, and the whole bit. He mentioned last night that I spent $600 more on my brew rig than he did on his greenhouse. I didn't even think he noticed! :D

His gardening isn't "just" gardening, though. He started with the seed catalogues a month ago and diagrams out the beds and keeps records. He'll start seeds in February or March, and put new shelves in the greenhouse. His gardening hobby is definitely on a par with my brewing.

Does he grow you some hops?

SWMBO and I seem to share alot of the same hobbies such as reading, enjoying some good movies and tv shows, and just going to the beach (I surf and she gets tan (or a few times she will bring one of the extra boards out if the kids are at the grandparents)). We also brew together which is fun (and easier sometimes with two people) and does knitting and cross-stiching. I'm trying to get her to be my gym partner since I like working out and would love her to be more active (she's not overweight; but just want to share my thrill of active sports with her).

It's not her hobby; but she also does a hell of a job taking take of our two daughters, our puppy, and the biggest baby ME :)

MY ex-swmbo was a professional evil clown, chef, did some stage design, and mostly makeup design for movies. Her "on set" in the death shirt I got her
4606_653094626140_16926574_39793343_4091181_n.jpg

MY ex-swmbo was a professional evil clown, chef, did some stage design, and mostly makeup design for movies. Her "on set" in the death shirt I got her
4606_653094626140_16926574_39793343_4091181_n.jpg

Man, tell me that's not your siphon tube they're about to stick in that stunt guy.

Dave

HWMO and I met through motorcycling, which is our primary shared hobby. We love long distance sport touring. He is an aficionado of old BMW bikes and has gotten me into them, too...we now have 3 "Airheads" (slang term for the old air-cooled boxer engine).

He also tinkers with old Dodge trucks. He has a 1962 Dodge Town Wagon, a 1968 Uniline, and we have the 1962 M-37 (military Power Wagon).

He also, being an engineer, is very much a stickler for maintenance and whatnot, so he spends a great deal of time and energy into making sure everything is in tip-top shape.

And, of course there's sex. That's always a good hobby to have in a marriage. Cheaper than brewing, too. :D

We've been working to find hobbies that we can enjoy together. We do a lot of camping during the summer, and this last summer I finally got her to go backpacking with me. Right now we can't go much because of the rain, but I got her a diamondback hardtail mtb and last time we went out she cleaned some sections that I got stuck on.

I've tried to get her interested in brewing, but so far it's only worked for the finished product. When we first started dating she though corona was heavy. A couple days ago I found a bottle of porter missing from the fridge :p

In her own time, she does a lot of reading and plays The Sims. Just within the last two months or so she's gotten interested in making earrings, so we'll see if that one sticks around.

Back