Question about sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigmorg

Reaction score
Hi everyone, its my first post and I have what I think is a fair question...

Im a bartender and as I wash the glassware, we use something called Sani-tabs. Could these be used to sanitize my carboys and small parts?

Here are the Active Ingrediants as they read:
Allkyl (C14, 95%, C12, 3%, C16, 2%) dimethyl benzyl ammonium choloride dihydrate..........50%

Inert Igredients.........50%

We just wash, rinse and dip in this stuff to sanitize our contact surfaces and glasses. It cant be that bad if we let them air dry and people drink out of them. So does anyone know if this is an option or have they used it with any results? Thanks a lot and what a great forum.

Well, you said it already..you wash, RINSE, and air dry.

There are several no-rinse sanitizers are our disposal, that are probably cheaper than sani-tabs. Bleach (diluted) needs to be rinsed like sani-tabs, and I guarantee its cheaper.

I myself use star-san since its no-rinse and non toxic and won't affect head retention, or flavor of the finished product.

Welcome to HBT!

+1 on the Starsan, it is great stuff. Probably cheaper than what you are using, and a $12 bottle will last you MANY brewdays.

always strive to use the right tool for the job.

Perhaps I misspoke. What I meant was, we wash in soap water, rinse in clear water, and then dip in the sani-tab solution, then air dry. I would probably rinse again after that though.

Bleach is cheap, as is starsan, but these tabs are free to me, so thats handy too. I dont know, just trying to find better faster way to maintian clean standards while making the most homebrew I can.

Bleach is cheap, as is starsan, but these tabs are free to me, so thats handy too.
Free to you, but not your employer.

I would probably rinse again after that though.
The point of no rinse sanitizer is you're not sanitizing, then washing away with dirty water. The item is remaining sanitized as long as it's wet with the sanitizer.

You may a have quaternary ammonia, which is a great sanitizer, but reported to be death to head.

the sani-tabs sound like they would be fine. but i wouldn't rinse after i sanitized with them. god knows whats in the rinse water and you could be recontaminating the parts.

but i do agree with Kiltred. taking the tabs would be stealing.

Free to you, but not your employer.

There is no theft involved. My boss said fine so long as he gets some samples. Kinda concernd though on peoples first reaction was stealing. No matter, the way its looking, I might as well get starsan so I dont loose any beer head.

You will be happier in the end with starsan. It's so cheap and easy. Many put it in a spray bottle and just spray is on their stuff. No need to make a whole bunch then throw it away.

Back