Pears? Crabapples? Please shine in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

felix

Reaction score
ok I'm tired of turning in circles. Im googleing my way trough it, but I have to ask for opinions here :mug:

I have a couple of boxes of mixed apples (3 kinds), a couple of boxes of pears (2 kinds), and access to what i believe are crab apples (used to boost pollination by attracting more bees to the orchards, mini red apples...).

Now i'm reading about the use of pears and it turns out pears are quite poor in nutrients, and need to sit on their pulp when crushed for 24 hours prior to pressing (i have a traditional press at home) in order to precipitate the flavors. Is this necessary? Anybody has experience with mixing pear juice in their ciders? Unfortunately they're not perry pears, only eating pears like Barlett and Anjou. Are they ok for mixing in a cider? What about proportions, nutrients etc...

Now with the crabapples. I've read somewhere they are good in ciders to add some acidity and tartness. The apples here are extremely sweet (i'm in the Canadian Desert Wine Country!) so my guess is that they would be a nice addition. Anybody on that?

thanks for the help!

1) You will get a fermented cider-type beverage by following the steps with any kind of fruit.

2) Whether it will be of high quality is quite another question.

Some crab apples, e.g. Dolgo, are passable as cider apples but lack sufficient tannin to do well. Eating apples and eating pears are generally too low in tannin and too high in sugar to be ideal.

Back