Going to dry hop and need opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cronxitawney

Reaction score
I currently do not have a carboy, but I do have spare buckets. I would like to dry hop in a secondary, but I am unsure if it is worth the risk of oxidizing my beer. Should I dry hop in my primary, or rack to my secondary bucket to dry hop?

Dryhopping is almost always done in secondary. The risk of oxidation is minimal as the beer has a layer of CO2 on top which minimizes the potential for oxidation.

Dry hopping in the primary you will lose valuable aroma as the higher CO2 concentrations will carry it away.

Hops present little-to-no risk of oxidation or bacteria.

Dry hopping in a bucket is easier than a carboy...when it comes to cleaning out the hops afterward.

Get yourself a paint strainer bag from lowes ($1.00) and a small zip tie and some sterilized marbles. This will keep the hops together and sunken for better utilization.

If thery're leaf hops, use a lot of marbles...those things float like crazy.

BierMuncher said:
Dry hopping in the primary you will lose valuable aroma as the higher CO2 concentrations will carry it away.

Hops present little-to-no risk of oxidation or bacteria.

Dry hopping in a bucket is easier than a carboy...when it comes to cleaning out the hops afterward.

Get yourself a paint strainer bag from lowes ($1.00) and a small zip tie and some sterilized marbles. This will keep the hops together and sunken for better utilization.

If thery're leaf hops, use a lot of marbles...those things float like crazy.

The hops I plan on using are amarillo plugs. I had planned on just tossing them in, but I have no problem sinking them if it will work better. As far as oxidation, I was referring to the beer. Will using a bucket significantly increase my chances for oxidation?

Oxidation would more be a function of how you transfer your beer...exercise caution to minimize splashing and you don't really have anything to worry about. Same as when you transfer to the bottling bucket.

You can dry hop in the primary if you want, just wait till the primary fermentation is finished.

Personally, I use a secondary for dry hopping so that I can let the beer clear and condition for a while before I start the dry hop.

cronxitawney said:
The hops I plan on using are amarillo plugs. I had planned on just tossing them in, but I have no problem sinking them if it will work better. As far as oxidation, I was referring to the beer. Will using a bucket significantly increase my chances for oxidation?
Nope. Just keep your electric mixer away...:D

Amarillo plugs are perfect for dry hopping. Again, sink those puppies o you're going to get tempted to try and manually sink those things by dipping a spoon in there or something.

I want this beer to be clearer than my first 2 batches, but am trying to avoid a cardboard tasting beer that smells great. :D If the consensus is that I will be ok, then I am definitely going to use a secondary. Thanks all.

Back