Apple/cherry wine still fermenting since August

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkenbergcn

Reaction score
I started some apple/cherry wine (from concentrate) back in August and every time I have racked the wine it has been very carbonated. I have degassed a couple of times during racking, but I am still getting some bubbles along with a very small amount of fine lees (a dusting). Is this normal? This is the longest I have ever had to wait on wine. Oh, the SG is under 1.0...... Thanks.

3 Old Orchard Apple/Cherry Red Star Montracet Yeast 1/4 tsp tannin
1 tsp pectic enzyme 5 tsp american oak

Have you added any potassium metabisulfite yet? Its possible you have a malic acid fermentation going on? WVMJ

I haven't added any potassium metabisulfite yet. Wasn't sure if I could do that at this point. If it is malic acid fermentation what does that do to my wine? So far it tastes fine - just a little carbonated.

I believe what you have and are seeing is C02 and the wine needs to be de-gassed. Carbonation is the clue after this much time.

arkenbergcn said:
I haven't added any potassium metabisulfite yet. Wasn't sure if I could do that at this point. If it is malic acid fermentation what does that do to my wine? So far it tastes fine - just a little carbonated.

You'll see CO2 bubbles as well with malolactic fermentation. It converts malic acid to lactic acid.

The bubbles are pretty large when they rise to the top of the carboy and there are not a lot of them. They do not look like the normal fermentation bubbles. I am pretty new at this so I cannot tell what's going on for sure. The good thing is that the wine tastes good so far and it looks like it is OK. I guess all I can do is give it a little more time and see what happens. I was just hoping to have this wine bottled already. I guess you can't rush wine! :)

You need to degas the wine. Your LHBS should carry a degas see that you can attach to a drill and then whip the air out. It's an important step in winemaking.

After you do the degassing let the wine settle then rack and bottle.

My guess is you in fact ARE still fermenting. Close to done but now there are so few yeast its taking quite a bit of time.

Question. Did you rack off the yeast before fermentation was finished? I know you said you'ved racked several times, but when was the first?

You must be close to done, but my wine routinely goes below 1.00, often to .990 or .980. So I would say the very few yeast left may be trying to tackle the last bit of fermentables. If that's the case, I would let it sit for another month (or two). I know that may not be the answer you are hoping for, but I hope this helps!

You must be close to done, but my wine routinely goes below 1.00, often to .990 or .980. So I would say the very few yeast left may be trying to tackle the last bit of fermentables. If that's the case, I would let it sit for another month (or two). I know that may not be the answer you are hoping for, but I hope this helps!

I agree that a wine would go below 1.000, to .990, but not .980. That must be a typo?

Anyway, check the SG now and see where it is. It does sound like a MLF going on right now, so I'd let it sit and finish and then sulfite it.

I agree that a wine would go below 1.000, to .990, but not .980. That must be a typo?

Anyway, check the SG now and see where it is. It does sound like a MLF going on right now, so I'd let it sit and finish and then sulfite it.

Possible that I'm reading my hydrometer wrong Yooper, but I think I've been down that far a few times. Scratch that. I HAVE been below .990. (Just looked at my hydrometer), but just one notch down, meaning .988! Wow. Read that wrong at least twice in my memory of my readings. Glad you pointed that out, but it means I mislabeled the ABV on my last Syrah... :-(

Possible that I'm reading my hydrometer wrong Yooper, but I think I've been down that far a few times. Scratch that. I HAVE been below .990. (Just looked at my hydrometer), but just one notch down, meaning .988! Wow. Read that wrong at least twice in my memory of my readings. Glad you pointed that out, but it means I mislabeled the ABV on my last Syrah... :-(

I don't think it's been .988, either, to be honest. Maybe check your hydrometer in distileld water to make sure it's not reading high or low. I don't think any wine, without being distilled, will drop below .990.

Thinking back I think I may have racked this wine too early. I had a couple other gallons of wine going that needed racked and I decided to go ahead and rack this one since I had eveything out. It was still slightly bubbling when I racked it. I guess whatever yeast is left over is now having to do the work the rest of the yeast would have done. Hopefully, the wine will stop fermenting in a few months. I am still new at this so I guess I have learned a valueable lesson :don't rack your wine too quickly. :)

(Thumbs Up)

Having given yourself this great insight, now reward yourself with a nice glass of something! Cheers!

:)

Latest posts

Back