MGB Winter Beer Fest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metanoia

Reaction score
Just found out that it sold out in 13 hours on December 1st. I'm totally bummed out, I was hoping to plan a nice get away to Grand Rapids for my birthday with my wife. I could just picture a few days away from the kids and with boatloads of beer. Le sigh.

Anyone else miss the sale? Can't believe that 4500 tickets went in 13 hours. That means they made $157K off those tickets. They need more than 4 fests a year.

I know, right? I was "kinda" planning on going this year. My wife and I have historically tried to get up to Traverse City for the TC Microbrew and Music Festival. Sort of a mid-winter romance getaway with beer, food and music.

However, there is always a fair chance that this particular event lands on the same day as our annual High School Band Booster Winter Carnival, which we volunteer for.

I was hoping to find out if the event would cause a problem this year, but forgot to check before the MGB tickets went on sale. So I missed the tickets and now find out that the TC festival is also on the same day as the carnival. So I'm screwed either way.

I guess I'll have to gather a few bottles of interesting beers and hide out in my house somewhere and drink while listening to Euforquestra with headphones on.

Actually, I might just go ahead and do that THIS WEEKEND! No need to wait, right?

yeah lots of problems with scalpers this year. people were buying like 40 tickets. I managed to get my tickets thankfully.

I guess I'll have to gather a few bottles of interesting beers and hide out in my house somewhere and drink while listening to Euforquestra with headphones on.

Actually, I might just go ahead and do that THIS WEEKEND! No need to wait, right?

Thankfully I stopped by the beer and wine store earlier in the night (after UPSing my first competition entry) and picked up a bottle of Arrogant Bastard and Sierra Nevada's Harvest. This was all before I found out about the sell out and that it was Repeal Day. Just the right kind of coincidence!

yeah lots of problems with scalpers this year. people were buying like 40 tickets. I managed to get my tickets thankfully.

Yeah, I saw updates from the MBG last night about scalpers and I was wondering what they were talking about. Did a quick search about the WBF and disappointment ensued. I definitely agree with not buying from the scalpers as they suggest, but truth be told if I had the money I'd be picking one up. :(

Edit: Now that the MBG are saying they'll be voiding tickets that are known to be scalped, scratch that last part. Wish I could get in on the extra sale to the enthusiast members, but $45 is a steep price to pay in addition to the WBF ticket. I'm certainly leaning towards an AHA membership before a MBG membership.

MBG membership is worth it. Gets you into all the fests an hour early (hardly any lines) and there are lots of tours with free beer through the year :D

It's such a tough call between the two. I feel like the MBG would be kind of lame without a friend to take along to the fests and tours, and my freshly pregnant wife is now no longer an option. lol

join a homebrew club you'll meet lots of people that enjoy brewing and beer that can go along with you. Dearborn heights there is a small club based out of Adventures in Homebrewing in Taylor called the Motor City Mashers.

I have both memberships. AHA membership is good for come homebrew comps etc... Don't really see much benefit at breweries in MI (there are a few that offer discounts) but you see more of a benefit if you travel. The MBG you get more local discounts and you're supporting the local brewerys. The festival early entry is really awesome too. Also MBG posted this on facebook late last night.

Thank you for your continued support of Michigan Beer and our festivals. We realize that the quick sell out of the upcoming Winter Beer Festival has caused many to be left without tickets. Although we are unable to help everyone we are particularly concerned in helping our enthusiast members, many of whom have supported us for many years.

Therefore we aim to improve future festivals in the following ways:

* Implement a presale for members allowing the purchase in advance of the general public

* Limit the number of tickets in one transaction and/or per person

* Review our ticket vendors to ensure fair fees and functional web sites especially in rapid sale periods

Also, If you were charged for tickets not received the ticket vendor should have corrected this on Tuesday and you should see a credit on your account.

We also will aggressively pursue ticket scalpers. Today we located two larger quantity scalpers, figured out which tickets they purchased, and voided the tickets. We have a couple of others we have located and will void shortly after giving them notice. Beware of buying tickets from scalpers, it supports illegal activity and may leave you with an invalid ticket for a high price. These tickets we recovered will be offered for sale to existing enthusiast members. We will notify all members via email on how to apply in the next few days, please be respectful and only apply if you did not get a ticket.

On other concerns mentioned we discussed adding more tickets but did not purely due to the fact that we are not willing to cram people in creating longer lines in the process. We care deeply about the experience and will not compromise it. We also talked about moving to a two day festival, brewery members have previously expressed doubt logistically about this possibility. Beer lines may freeze if left overnight and the hours of light make it difficult to do two sessions in one day. Also we are already outside for multiple days with setup and breakdown and sickness is a factor. We will work on solutions to see what is possible with hosting more people although this will not be in effect in 2013.

For other comments, or if you are an enthusiast and did not receive a notice by the weekend you can submit feedback at www.mibeer.com/feedback, we will reply as promptly as we can.

Thanks

The Michigan Brewer's Guild Board

Thanks for the inside scoop with both memberships. I have noticed that Adventures "sponsors" a club at their store, hoping to stop in sometime (maybe after the holidays). Also saw that there's one in Dearborn called FORD, but their website seems rather outdated.

Yeah, we don't get up to the north side very often at all. I'm definitely interested in joining one down here real soon though.

Back