Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiggy101

Reaction score
This is my first batch of homebrewing and I'm pretty sure it's infected. I attached a picture. I thought I was extremely careful with sterilizing everything since I've worked in labs before but the growth on top looks like bacteria plates. There's also a very strong phenolic smell to the batch. I just took a gravity sample last week and it looked fine, nothing like this at all.

2012-09-03 11.30.17.jpg

I would not panic. Fermentation produces all sorts of yucky looking stuff. What does the beer underneath taste like? How long had it been sitting? General rule is to go ahead and bottle when ready and see how it ends up. There is nothing that grows in beer that can hurt you. In 75 batches, I have only had one that resulted in an uncharacteristic sour taste I could not drink and a few with too much foam but no off taste or smell. I am sure I was not as careful with my sanitizing as you.

That's infected.
Rack from underneath and bottle it up and drink it quick:)

The beer underneath tasted off when it was in the primary but once I transferred it to the bottling the taste was much better, just like a porter. I racked it and am hoping for the best. Thanks for your help!

I know a lot of us are quick to say the usual "yeast rafts, meh it's fine, all ferments are different (for me this has only been true with wyeast 1469-mind blown)". .....and while I'm no expert... That don't look right at all... I'm guessing infected.

Back