Dos equis and modelo bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petie

Reaction score
I bottled a batch last night and about 16 of my bottles were dos Equis or modelo bottles. I use a hand capper from brewers best. This capper will not cap those bottles. If I wouldn't have still had my cheap capper from mr beer I would have been in trouble. My wife was helping me cap while I was filling bottles and after a considerable amount of profanity she walked off. I gave it a try and after about the same amount of profanity I realized the problem. No more of those bottles for me.

image-2084452477.jpg

I had also tried and failed with those short fat bottles. The problem is that the neck is to short and wide. the part of the caper that crimps the caps gets stuck on the wide neck and wont close on the cap.

the common cappers fit around the necks fine, the trouble is the bottom of the capper, the jaws that close around the bell shaped part, need to latch on to the ridge that is a little down from the bottle lip. The capper won't pull itself and the lid down tightly without that. bottles like dos equis, founders, anchor, have a ridge that is not far enough down for the jaws to grip it.

you can get a watertight seal, but its a risk it won't hold the pressure. i'd practice it a bit before risking a bunch of beer

Pacifico bottles suck because they are too tall for standard cases...I needed to segregate them into only pacifco boxes.

If you look at the neck of a regular bottle it's got a lip about a half inch from the top. The modelo and dos Equis bottles are only about a quarter inch. The brewers best capper bottomed out before it got a full crimp. The mr beer crimp them down tight,but they're gonna be a ***** to get off.

dos equis were some of the toughest bottles I had. NEVER broke. Cheap capper needed? Isn't that better than EXPENSIVE capper needed?

I've had issues getting the Red Barron Capper to work with the Dos Equis bottles too. With enough gumption you could get them capped but what a pain. The Modelo bottles I had better luck with until one bottling day I broke the neck on about 5 of them. Needless to say I got rid of both types of bottles.

I was given a somewhat decent bench capper, and that's the only way I've found to cap these bottles. I just used a bunch of XX bottles on my last batch. The thing I hate most about them is how difficult it is to get the labels off. Even after a 24 hour soak in oxyclean, they don't want to come off cleanly.

They're probably the hardest ones to get labels off of. The easiest for me do far is magic hat. About a fifteen minute soak in hot water and the labels almost fall off. A cheap capper is better than an expensive one on the xx bottles. I'm just lucky I had one.

I had a hard time with corona bottles , they wont do that last little lock down , I capped two cases but didn't feel confident that they sealed .... they didn't leak holding upside down . better crack open a tester tonight see if the carbonated

Just an FYI. I had no problem using my Colonna capper/corker on the modelo bottles. I bottled a batch of skeeter pee in them over the weekend.

nasty_rabbit said:
I use 1 Modello especial bottles on every batch to have a clear

Oops fat finger hit the send button. But 1 on every batch to see how it will clear up after bottling. Also if I have less than 32 oz of mead left in the primary. Never had a problem as of yet.

Back